Finite Difference Methods and Global Error

In summary, you can use the global error e_nm to improve the accuracy of your finite difference method, but it is not always necessary to do so.
O_chemist
I was going through my notes on different finite difference methods and came across something I don't quite understand. I have code that will calculate an approximate solution we can call this U_nm that I define on a grid using h and dt for the change in x and time respectively. Now I have written down the global error is just

e_nm =|U_nm - u(xn,tn)|

where u(xn,tn) is the exact solution evaluated at the gird points.

From there we can calculate our rate of convergence

So naively I just assumed I could take the solution I calculate and subtract the exact solution at every point take the absolute value. However, I have written something about actually just using e_nm to calculate the initial values as well as boundary conditions and then plugging them back into the finite difference method to calculate all the grid points for all of e_nm.

Is this correct or did I perhaps not fully understand what my instructor was saying?

(Note we are working with forward, backward and crank-nicolson methods)

Physics news on Phys.org
It is correct that you can use e_nm to calculate the initial values and boundary conditions for your finite difference method. This allows you to achieve a more accurate solution by starting with values that are closer to the exact solution. However, this is not necessary for all finite difference methods. Generally speaking, this technique is used when the computed solution is inaccurate due to numerical errors or ill-conditioned systems.

What are finite difference methods?

Finite difference methods are numerical techniques used to approximate solutions to differential equations. They involve breaking down a continuous problem into a discrete grid and using mathematical operations to approximate the derivatives at each grid point.

How do finite difference methods work?

Finite difference methods work by discretizing a continuous problem into a finite number of grid points, where the solution is approximated at each point. The derivatives are then approximated using mathematical operations on the values at each grid point. These approximations are iteratively refined to obtain a more accurate solution.

What is the global error in finite difference methods?

The global error in finite difference methods refers to the difference between the exact solution of a differential equation and the numerical solution obtained using the finite difference method. It is a measure of the accuracy of the approximation and decreases as the grid is refined.

How can the global error in finite difference methods be reduced?

The global error in finite difference methods can be reduced by using a smaller grid size, which means increasing the number of grid points. This allows for a more accurate approximation of the solution. Additionally, using higher order finite difference methods or adaptive methods can also help reduce the global error.

What are some applications of finite difference methods?

Finite difference methods have a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and finance. They are commonly used to solve differential equations in fluid dynamics, heat transfer, electromagnetic fields, and financial modeling, among others. They are also used in computer simulations to study complex systems.