What makes a good monitor/mentor at PF?

• Thread starter Les Sleeth
  • Start date
In summary: might not be the best person to give advice on this topic, as I have not had the opportunity to mentor anyone.
Originally posted by Zero
Because I'm a big meanie!
Y'know, I like you and all, but I have to say that you're the first name that came to mind. You have to admit that you hold on to your view of the world with a bit of an iron grip, Zero.

I think the main problem is likely the conviction with which you hold most of your ideas. You're a great debater, but I guess that you are not in your mentor role while debating. You kind of have two set roles, as a debator, and as a mentor, and you need to keep them seperate, and when people see the conviction with which you lob your hellfire on the forums they think that their posts might get edited with that disagreement in mind.

Also, the blood is scary.

(ps: Why is this in the philosophy forum?)

(pps: Waitasecond, you'r mentoring general discussion now? dang, things really have changed.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by russ_watters
Aw c'mon, I'm new - you guys got to haze me a little. Otherwise, I'll be insulted.

Being an engineer is enough punishment. oh wait...I mean, being an engineer demands instant respect.

Phobos, P.E.

Originally posted by wuss_ratters
Aw c'mon, I'm new - you guys got to haze me a little. Otherwise, I'll be insulted.
Consider it done!(?)

Just to stick my nose (and noise) in. Zero is a softy, wishywashy and not firm in his convictions. It only took 40 pages of verbal abuse for me to get him to admit that I may have a point but he didn't agree with it. He even quit calling me names and questioning my grasp on reality! Zero believe it or not; IT IS NOT ALL ABOUT YOU!

Russ- is a working engineer? Isn't that and oxymoron? As a technician who has worked under, with and for engineers I think they should have stuck to driving trains. Rus didn't you say that you had graduated from Anapolis Naval Acadamy or was it West Point? Either way my condolences. First you have to do something before we can criticize you. Keep up the good... Uh...work(?).
As I learned in the Navy a long time age; "Indecision
is the keynote to flexablity."

I have been called to task (sometimes rightfully so) far more by members who are not mentors than by mentors. For the most part I think that they (all of you) do a fine job even if and when we disagree. Of course they do a much better job when they do agree or at least defend me or my positions. Thanks to all of you.

Originally posted by LW Sleeth
A forum monitor should be an expert in the field they are watching over...

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
I absolutely agree

No you don't.

Originally posted by jeff
No you don't.

Thank you for telling me what I think jeff. :wink:

should != must

Last edited:
Greg,

Why when I click quote on your last post does the phrase "should != must" appear just before the closing "[/B][/QUOTE]" tags?

Originally posted by jeff
Greg,

Why when I click quote on your last post does the phrase "should != must" appear just before the closing tags"

What would you like to happen? Sounds normal to me.

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
What would you like to happen? Sounds normal to me.

Oops, sorry about that. (This is an embarrassed smiley, right?)

Originally posted by Royce
Russ- is a working engineer? Isn't that and oxymoron? As a technician who has worked under, with and for engineers I think they should have stuck to driving trains.

Perhaps if the technicians could get the trains to run properly...
:wink:

Getting the trains to run properly is the hard part. After all they are not only driven by enguineers but designed and buil by engineers.
The only reason engineers are allowed o drive trains is that they are on rails and the engineer/driver can't steer them the wrong way and get lost.