Questions regarding Basics of EBPVD

• Thread starter AndrewB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basics
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of EB-PVD machines and how various parameters affect the coating process and the target. The process involves accelerating electrons to heat the target until it vaporizes and sticks to a substrate. The target gets "eaten up" in the process and the speaker is looking for a way to calculate the necessary power for this. They also mention the relationship between the Electron Gun power and the target, and ask for any helpful references or inputs. A PhD thesis is suggested as a valuable resource for more information.
AndrewB
Hi All,

I am new to a laboratory and they have this EB-PVD machine. I would like to know how several parameters affect the coating as well as the target.

The basic concept that I know about EB-PVD is that electrons are accelerated so that it can heat the target and eventually reach a point wherein the target vaporizes and somehow sticks to a substrate. The target gets "eaten up" in the process. I would like to find a rough calculation or estimate to how much power I can give to a certain target so that I would eat up the target holder.

But with all the papers that I read, authors specify the target and the power of the Electron Gun. Every element has its own heat of vaporization and I would like to understand the relation of the Gun Power and the target.

Any reference, links and inputs are welcome. Your help is very much appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
AndrewB, Welcome to Physics Forums!

Here is a PhD thesis that describes these devices. I think you will find specific answers here. See especially the “Machine Dynamics Model” which combines models of various component dynamics in the EB-PVD machine such as cathode heating, ingot melting, and evaporation.

https://etda.libraries.psu.edu/paper/7573/2847

1. What is EBPVD?

EBPVD stands for Electron Beam Physical Vapor Deposition. It is a process used in material science and engineering to deposit thin films on various surfaces. This technique involves the use of high-energy electron beams to vaporize a source material, which then condenses onto a substrate to form a thin film.

2. How does EBPVD work?

In EBPVD, a high-energy electron beam is directed at a target material, causing it to vaporize. The vapor then travels to a substrate, where it condenses and forms a thin film. This process takes place in a vacuum chamber to prevent contamination and ensure a high-quality film.

3. What are the advantages of using EBPVD?

EBPVD has several advantages over other deposition techniques. It allows for the deposition of thin films with high purity and uniformity. It also offers precise control over the thickness and composition of the film. Additionally, EBPVD can deposit films on complex shapes and has a high deposition rate, making it a cost-effective option for industrial applications.

4. What are the applications of EBPVD?

EBPVD has a wide range of applications in various industries, including aerospace, automotive, electronics, and medical devices. It is commonly used to deposit protective coatings on turbine blades, cutting tools, and medical implants. EBPVD is also used in the production of thin film solar cells and electronic devices.

5. What are the challenges in using EBPVD?

One of the main challenges in using EBPVD is the high cost of equipment and maintenance. The vacuum chamber used in the process is expensive, and the electron beam can cause damage to the equipment over time. EBPVD also requires precise control and monitoring to ensure the quality and consistency of the deposited films.