Becoming a Great Theoretical Physicist: A Guide by Gerard 't Hooft

In summary, Gerard 't Hooft's guide on becoming a good theoretical physicist is a good resource for those looking to learn more about the field, but is not a complete guide. Those interested in the subject should supplement it with other resources.
icma
Hey,
I came across (http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~hooft101/theorist.html) in which Gerard 't Hooft has written a guide on becoming a good theoretical physicist and was wondering if anyone is using it, and if so d'you like it?

Physics news on Phys.org

I used it a little and it worked okay.
I'd use the books from the book list at the end over the lecture notes given in the main list though.
AND make sure you have some kind of background in basic f=ma type physics and some basic calulus.

icma said:
Hey,
I came across (http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~hooft101/theorist.html) in which Gerard 't Hooft has written a guide on becoming a good theoretical physicist and was wondering if anyone is using it, and if so d'you like it?

I don't really see it as a guide on becoming a good theoretical physicist. That is a very misleading statement, it is more of a list of topics to touch if you were independently learning.

Nano-Passion said:
I don't really see it as a guide on becoming a good theoretical physicist. That is a very misleading statement, it is more of a list of topics to touch if you were independently learning.

I think the reason he titled it 'how to become a good theoretical physicist' is to constrast his 'how to become a bad theoretical physicist page' http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~hooft101/theoristbad.html

genericusrnme said:
I think the reason he titled it 'how to become a good theoretical physicist' is to constrast his 'how to become a bad theoretical physicist page' http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~hooft101/theoristbad.html

Oh that makes sense. There are people out there who demand that we listen to their crackpot statements and that it is cult like to not listen to people outside of their field. But they don't it math is the language of physics, so if your speaking english the whole time then your speaking bullsh--. T'hooft's page highlights that and shows that there are many years down the path to actually start speaking physics and mathematics.

What is the book "Becoming a Great Theoretical Physicist" about?

The book is a guide written by Gerard 't Hooft, a Nobel Prize-winning theoretical physicist, to help aspiring physicists develop the skills and mindset needed to become successful in the field.

What makes this book different from other guides for aspiring physicists?

This book offers insights and advice from someone who has achieved great success in the field of theoretical physics, rather than just a general overview of the subject.

What are some key topics covered in the book?

The book covers topics such as developing problem-solving skills, understanding the fundamentals of mathematics and physics, staying motivated, and the importance of collaboration and communication in the field of theoretical physics.

Who is the intended audience for this book?

This book is primarily aimed at students and early-career physicists who are interested in pursuing a career in theoretical physics, but it can also be useful for anyone interested in the subject and wanting to gain a better understanding of the field.

What can readers gain from reading this book?

Readers can gain valuable insights and advice from one of the most accomplished theoretical physicists of our time, as well as practical tips and strategies for developing the skills and mindset necessary for success in the field.