How Does Physics Apply to Superhuman Scenarios in Sci-Fi Writing?

In summary, science fiction writing assistance is a service that helps writers develop their ideas and stories within the science fiction genre. This can include world-building, character development, plot structure, and other elements specific to science fiction writing. The goal is to provide guidance and support for writers to create compelling and imaginative stories that push the boundaries of what is possible. With the help of scifi writing assistance, writers can refine their craft and bring their visions to life in the ever-expanding world of science fiction literature.
TheGunslinger
I'm writing something, and I need some assistance. Namely, I want it to be at least moderatly accurate to real life physics, so I would appreciate it if someone could give me an insight on how real-world physics would work in the following situations.

First - what would happen if a human being of average strenght delivered a hundred punches in the span of 0.1 seconds or less(assume that the person is invulnerable). What kind of effects would it have on the surface that is being punched?

Second - if someone ran at a speed very close to the speed of sound, and then surpassed the speed of sound by punching in the same direction in which he is running , what kind of effect would that cause? Would that even work? What kind of effect would that have on the surface the person is running on(asfalt/concrete). Assume the person in question is invulnerable, for the sake of argument.

Third - if one threw bullets, so they have roughly the same speed as them being shot from a gun, would the bullets be able to fly in the same arc as if they were shot from a gun? How much strenght or speed in ones hand would that require? Standard 9mm caliber bullets are in question here.

I'm grateful for any answers you might have.

Physics news on Phys.org

TheGunslinger said:
I'm writing something, and I need some assistance. Namely, I want it to be at least moderatly accurate to real life physics, so I would appreciate it if someone could give me an insight on how real-world physics would work in the following situations.

First - what would happen if a human being of average strenght delivered a hundred punches in the span of 0.1 seconds or less(assume that the person is invulnerable). What kind of effects would it have on the surface that is being punched?

Second - if someone ran at a speed very close to the speed of sound, and then surpassed the speed of sound by punching in the same direction in which he is running , what kind of effect would that cause? Would that even work? What kind of effect would that have on the surface the person is running on(asfalt/concrete). Assume the person in question is invulnerable, for the sake of argument.

Third - if one threw bullets, so they have roughly the same speed as them being shot from a gun, would the bullets be able to fly in the same arc as if they were shot from a gun? How much strenght or speed in ones hand would that require? Standard 9mm caliber bullets are in question here.

I'm grateful for any answers you might have.

So they are normal punches but superfast? There are a number of things. If the surface being punched is elastic, then the punches arrive before the elastic surface can spring back. I'm not sure exactly what would happen, but I think it would be more likely to break the target. Also that would be fast enough that it would produce a medium-range musical note. If that is the resonant frequency of the target then it would be devastating. It would be a lot of energy in a short time. To do this the punches would have to travel a very short distance, like maybe an inch. Sort of like a jackhammer.

I don't think it would make much difference. It could be done, and would make a loud noise.

It depends. An M-16 shoots bullets that tumble, so it would be kind of like that. Other guns shoot bullets that spin, and those go farther than tumbling bullets.

At close range the tumbling bullets would cause more damage.

You'd have to have your hand moving at the speed of a bullet. Of course your joints would fall apart, but we're talking superman here.

1. What is "Scifi Writing assistance"?

Scifi Writing assistance is a service that provides support and guidance for individuals who are writing science fiction stories. This can include help with plot development, character creation, and world-building.

2. Who can benefit from "Scifi Writing assistance"?

Anyone who is interested in writing science fiction can benefit from this service. It is especially helpful for novice writers who may need extra support and guidance in crafting their stories.

3. How does "Scifi Writing assistance" work?

The process may vary depending on the specific service provider, but generally, "Scifi Writing assistance" involves one-on-one consultations with a professional writer or editor. They will provide feedback and suggestions on your work and help you develop your ideas and writing skills.

4. Is "Scifi Writing assistance" expensive?

The cost of "Scifi Writing assistance" can vary depending on the service provider and the level of support needed. However, many providers offer affordable options and some even offer free resources and tips on their websites.

5. What are the benefits of using "Scifi Writing assistance"?

Using "Scifi Writing assistance" can help you improve your writing skills and craft a more engaging and well-developed science fiction story. It can also save you time and frustration by providing you with valuable feedback and support along the way.