Independent Study High Energy - Particle Physics

In summary, you should study math courses to understand the physics concepts, and find someone to guide you in your ambition.
TheDemx27
Gold Member
Hello!

I, like many others, am interested in studying physics on my own as my school doesn't offer any kind of physics for ninth graders. (The tenth grade physics class isn't very in depth either; I took part of it in 8th grade). I have exhausted what Khan Academy has to offer, and I am wondering if anyone here could refer me to some good, free, online resources to further my education in high energy/particle physics.

The majority of what I know comes from last summer, where I stayed up all night, every night on a laptop. One tab was up with these forums, several others up with wikipedia, trying to make sense of everything they said. I watched Khan Academy during the day. After doing this all summer, I can easily understand almost all of the posts in the high energy and particle physics section, with my one blatant weakness being calculus.

As you can imagine, staying up all night didn't help in making it an efficient study. Studying on my own didn't really leave me with strong roots in the subject, so I feel the need to take a full out course from beginning to end, with a curriculum to fill in the gaps I have probably missed. I think it will make for a good, thorough review as well.

The quicker the better, I don't know how long this hype of physics will last, even though it has lasted longer than my hype of: Ham Radio, flying planes, flying model planes, programming, guitar etc.

So when I proudly say "When I grow up, I'm going to be a physicist!", don't listen.

Thanks,

Demx

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
TheDemx27 said:
Hello!

I, like many others, am interested in studying physics on my own as my school doesn't offer any kind of physics for ninth graders. (The tenth grade physics class isn't very in depth either; I took part of it in 8th grade). I have exhausted what Khan Academy has to offer, and I am wondering if anyone here could refer me to some good, free, online resources to further my education in high energy/particle physics.

The majority of what I know comes from last summer, where I stayed up all night, every night on a laptop. One tab was up with these forums, several others up with wikipedia, trying to make sense of everything they said. I watched Khan Academy during the day. After doing this all summer, I can easily understand almost all of the posts in the high energy and particle physics section, with my one blatant weakness being calculus.

As you can imagine, staying up all night didn't help in making it an efficient study. Studying on my own didn't really leave me with strong roots in the subject, so I feel the need to take a full out course from beginning to end, with a curriculum to fill in the gaps I have probably missed. I think it will make for a good, thorough review as well.

The quicker the better, I don't know how long this hype of physics will last, even though it has lasted longer than my hype of: Ham Radio, flying planes, flying model planes, programming, guitar etc.

So when I proudly say "When I grow up, I'm going to be a physicist!", don't listen.

Thanks,

Demx

Hi, I know exactly how you feel. So I'm not going to give you some kind of advice like " you ought to study the basics first" cause I know it seems really boring and this can demotivate you.

I would suggest you to keep reading (not too advanced) about particle physics to keep your interest awake. But from experience, I would suggest you to learn a bit about functions and a little calculus. Then move on to classical mechanics and apply what you learned about the mathematics there. Trust me, it won't be boring at all. Plus find someone who could guide you in your ambition.

Best of luck.

At your level all you could learn is the name of things and regurgitation ala history. I would work through math reqs and classical mech including lagrangians.

Without knowledge of the mathematics required, ex. Calc I-III, linear algebra and ODE, you won't be able to get too far. You can definitely still learn a lot on the qualitative side, but as you go deeper into the subject, you'll NEED higher math to understand how the theories make sense, ex. quantum mechanics. So my advice would be to study the math courses I've mentioned.
You don't need a deep knowledge of these to understand the physics, but you need to understand the derivations for crucial concepts, or else your "understanding" will be superficial.

Hello Demx,

First of all, I am impressed by your dedication and enthusiasm for physics at such a young age. It is great that you are taking the initiative to study on your own and seek out additional resources to further your understanding.

As for online resources, there are many options available to you. Some popular ones include MIT OpenCourseWare, Coursera, and edX. These websites offer free online courses from top universities on a variety of subjects, including high energy and particle physics. You can also check out websites like Physics World and Physics Central for articles and news related to the field.

In terms of filling in the gaps in your knowledge, I would recommend starting with a textbook. Some good introductory texts for high energy and particle physics include "Introduction to Elementary Particles" by David Griffiths and "Particle Physics: A Very Short Introduction" by Frank Close. These books will provide you with a solid foundation and cover the basics of the subject.

In addition to self-study, I would also encourage you to participate in physics competitions or attend summer programs at universities to gain hands-on experience and network with other physics enthusiasts.

Lastly, don't worry about your weaknesses in calculus. As you continue to study and learn more about physics, your understanding of calculus will also improve. Just keep practicing and seeking out help when needed.

Overall, I wish you all the best in your pursuit of high energy and particle physics. Keep up the hard work and passion for the subject, and I have no doubt that you will achieve your dream of becoming a physicist. Best of luck!

1. What is independent study high energy - particle physics?

Independent study high energy - particle physics is a branch of physics that focuses on the study of subatomic particles and their interactions at high energies. This field combines theoretical and experimental methods to better understand the fundamental nature of matter and energy.

2. What are some of the key topics studied in independent study high energy - particle physics?

Some of the key topics studied in independent study high energy - particle physics include the Standard Model of particle physics, quantum field theory, particle accelerators, and the search for new particles beyond the Standard Model.

3. What are some of the real-world applications of independent study high energy - particle physics?

Independent study high energy - particle physics has many real-world applications, such as in medical imaging technologies like PET scans and MRI machines. It also has applications in developing new materials and technologies, and in understanding the origins of the universe.

4. How do scientists conduct research in independent study high energy - particle physics?

Scientists in this field use a combination of theoretical calculations, computer simulations, and experimental data from particle accelerators to study the behavior of subatomic particles. They also collaborate with researchers from other fields, such as astronomy and cosmology, to further our understanding of the universe.

5. What are some of the current challenges in independent study high energy - particle physics?

Some of the current challenges in independent study high energy - particle physics include finding evidence for physics beyond the Standard Model, understanding the nature of dark matter and dark energy, and reconciling quantum mechanics and general relativity. Additionally, building larger and more powerful particle accelerators is an ongoing challenge in order to study particles at even higher energies.