Understanding the Relationship Between Poles, Zeros, and Bode Plots

In summary, poles and zeros play an important role in determining the slope of a bode plot. Poles decrease the slope by 20db/decade, while zeros increase the slope by 20db/decade. By knowing the location of poles, zeros, and the DC gain, one can accurately sketch a bode plot without having to use the transfer function. Additionally, a computer can be used to evaluate the magnitude and phase of a transfer function for a given frequency, making the process more efficient. Overall, understanding the effects of poles and zeros is crucial in creating a bode plot.
perplexabot
Gold Member
Hello all. I have two questions.

1] How do poles and zeros relate to bode plots? What happens at a pole or zero?

2] Can you come up with a rough sketch of a bode plot if you know the following (without having to use the transfer function)?:
- Zeros
- Poles
- H(s -> 0) Low frequency gain
- H(s -> infinity) High frequency gain

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
perplexabot said:
Hello all. I have two questions.

1] How do poles and zeros relate to bode plots? What happens at a pole or zero?

2] Can you come up with a rough sketch of a bode plot if you know the following (without having to use the transfer function)?:
- Zeros
- Poles
- H(s -> 0) Low frequency gain
- H(s -> infinity) High frequency gain

Thank you.

This should help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bode_plot

:smile:

Hahaha. Good ol' wikipedia. Thanks I guess.

EDIT: Just read almost all of that wikipedia article you referred me to, It has a good explanation on how to do bode plots the standard way (using the 20log rule and so on) but I was wondering if there is anyway we can bypass all that work assuming we have the variables shown in my original post. The reason I ask this is because I currently have a somewhat complicated transfer function. Also, the article did have a part about poles and zeros but I still don't understand what they mean on the bode plot. I guess I need to do way more reading.

Last edited:
perplexabot said:
... but I was wondering if there is anyway we can bypass all that work assuming we have the variables shown in my original post.
You could just have a computer evaluate the magnitude and phase of your transfer function for s = jω, 0 ≤ ω < ∞. MATLAB is a good tool for this.

Being able to draw a Bode plot using the asymptotic approximations is a good way to learn how to use them for control design, same with root locus analysis, but for the most part, I don't do it by hand any more.

perplexabot said:
Also, the article did have a part about poles and zeros but I still don't understand what they mean on the bode plot.
I think their effect will become clear to you with some practice. You could try drawing Bode plots for some simple transfer functions.

Edit:
Zeros, poles and DC gain uniquely determines your transfer function.

Last edited:
milesyoung said:
Zeros, poles and DC gain uniquely determines your transfer function.

the gain at DC might be zero (like for a high-pass filter or even a band-pass filter). you might say that the loci of the zeros and the poles and the constant gain factor is what fully determines the transfer function and that fully determines the frequency response.

Thank you so much for the informative responses. So I am assuming from your answers that one CAN plot the bode plots from the given information. I will do a bit more reading. Thank you all once again.

it's basically adjusting the slope at each pole or zero.

[STRIKE]a Pole directs it up 20 db/decade, a Zero down 20.[/STRIKE]

OOPS ! I got it backward :redface:---- See following posts

Last edited:
rbj said:
the gain at DC might be zero (like for a high-pass filter or even a band-pass filter). you might say that the loci of the zeros and the poles and the constant gain factor is what fully determines the transfer function and that fully determines the frequency response.

Sorry I should have mentioned that it won't hold for a system with a zero or pole at the origin.

I think Jim Hardy's response was incorrect. Every pole increases the slope -20db/decade (downward). Every zero increases the slope +20dB/decade (upward).

jrive said:
I think Jim Hardy's response was incorrect. Every pole increases the slope -20db/decade (downward). Every zero increases the slope +20dB/decade (upward).

Agreed. Jim is human after all:)

psparky said:
Agreed. Jim is human after all:)
(OOPS! icon)
Thanks guys - late night, typed quickly --- something told me to wait 'till morning.

Humble apologies . No excuses - it was a direct miss.

It just seemed to me the simple mechanics of making the Bode plot hadn't been mentioned.

Here's a little tutorial with examples
http://lpsa.swarthmore.edu/Bode/BodeExamples.html

index.8.gif

old jim

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
hey. Sorry for the late reply. Just want to say that your feedback has helped me so much. Poles dec. the slope by 20db/dec and zeros inc. slope by 20db/dec. That makes so much sense. Thank you everyone for your precious help, and a special thanks to Jim Hardy for the very useful information.

What are poles and zeros in relation to bode plots?

Poles and zeros are two types of points on a bode plot that represent the behavior of a system. Poles are points where the magnitude of the transfer function approaches infinity, indicating a frequency at which the system is very sensitive. Zeros, on the other hand, are points where the magnitude of the transfer function is equal to zero, indicating a frequency at which the system does not respond.

How do poles and zeros affect the shape of a bode plot?

Poles and zeros can drastically affect the shape of a bode plot. Poles can cause peaks or dips in the magnitude plot, while zeros can cause dips or peaks. Additionally, poles and zeros can also affect the slope of the bode plot, with poles adding -20dB/decade and zeros subtracting -20dB/decade from the slope.

What is the significance of the location of poles and zeros on a bode plot?

The location of poles and zeros on a bode plot can provide insight into the behavior of a system. For example, poles that are close to the imaginary axis indicate a system with fast response time, while poles near the origin indicate a system with slow response time. Zeros close to the origin indicate a system with a large steady-state error, while zeros near the imaginary axis indicate a system with good tracking ability.

How can bode plots be used to analyze the stability of a system?

Bode plots can provide important information about the stability of a system. A system is considered stable if its poles are all located in the left half of the s-plane. By analyzing the location of the poles on a bode plot, it is possible to determine the stability of a system and make necessary adjustments to ensure stability.

What is the difference between a magnitude and phase bode plot?

A magnitude bode plot shows the relationship between the input and output magnitudes of a system over a range of frequencies. A phase bode plot, on the other hand, shows the relationship between the input and output phases of a system over a range of frequencies. Both plots are important for analyzing the behavior and stability of a system.