Find values for which the limit exists

• Thread starter twoflower
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the conditions for which the limit exists for a given problem. It is suggested to use polar coordinates to simplify the problem and it is determined that the limit can exist if a = c = 0. However, there may be other possible solutions.
twoflower
Hi,
I'm given this problem:

Find conditions for variables a, b, c so that the limit

[tex]
\lim_{[x,y] \rightarrow [0,0]} \frac{xy}{ax^2 + bxy + cy^2}
[/tex]

exists.

What I have only found so far is that for all variables non-zero the limit doesn't exist. Anyway, I have no clue how to find the conditions for which it does. I tried a = b = c = 0, but it doesn't seem to help to me...

Thank you for the enlightenment.

Physics news on Phys.org
OOps I was too late in deleting my post. Actually I made a mistake in solving that and yes, what makes me unsure is that I don't think we could use hopital rule for these kind of limit.

You'd better to ask another homework helper, but I solve it in another way now . If you look at numerator nad denominator, you see both of them have xy. So?

Lisa! said:
You'd better to ask another homework helper, but I solve it in another way now . If you look at numerator nad denominator, you see both of them have xy. So?

Ok, now it seems to me that the condition for the limit to exist is that a = c = 0.

Anyway, it is just the result of guessing method, is there any more exact approach to solve this?

For functions like this, where you have two variables, I find it best to convert to polar coordinates. That way, exactly one variable, r, measures the distance to (0,0) which is the crucial factor. In polar coordinates,
[itex]x= r cos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]y= r sin(\theta)[/itex] so
[itex]xy= r^2 cos(\theta)sin(\theta)[/itex], [tex]x2= r^2 cos^2(\theta)[/itex], and [tex]y^2= r^2 sin^2(\theta)[/itex].
Of course, then [itex]ax^2+ bxy+ cy^2= ar^2cos^2(\theta)+ br^2sin(
theta)cos(\theta)+ cr^2sin^2(\theta)[/itex] so that
[itex]ax^2+ bxy+ cy^2= r^2(acos^2(\theta)+ bsin(
theta)cos(\theta)+ csin^2(\theta)[/itex].

That means that
[tex]\frac{xy}{ax^2+ bxy+ cy^2}= \frac{sin(\theta)cos(\theta)}{acos^2(\theta)+ bsin(\theta)cos(\theta)+ csin^2(\theta)}[/tex].

Notice that there is no "r" in that! This can have a limit as r-> 0 only if it does NOT depend on [itex]\theta[/itex]- it is a constant. One obvious choice for a,b,c is a= c= 0, b= 1 but there may be others.

1. What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a particular value. It represents the value that a function is approaching, but may not necessarily reach, as its input gets closer and closer to a given point.

2. How do I determine if a limit exists?

A limit exists if the value of the function approaches a specific value as the input gets closer and closer to a given point. This can be determined by evaluating the function at values very close to the given point, both from the left and right sides. If the values approach the same number, the limit exists. If the values approach different numbers, the limit does not exist.

3. What does it mean for a limit to not exist?

If a limit does not exist, it means that the function does not approach a specific value as the input gets closer and closer to a given point. This could be due to a variety of reasons, such as a jump or discontinuity in the function, or the function approaching different values from the left and right sides.

4. How can I find values for which the limit exists?

To find values for which the limit exists, you can use algebraic techniques such as factoring and simplifying to manipulate the function and see if a specific value emerges as the limit. You can also use graphical methods, such as analyzing the behavior of the function on a graph, to determine if the limit exists at a given point.

5. Why is it important to find values for which the limit exists?

Finding values for which the limit exists is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function and make predictions about its value at a specific point. This is especially useful in real-world applications, such as in physics and engineering, where we need to know the behavior of a system at different points in time or space.