Build a Coin-Throwing Catapult in 2 Weeks

• Thread starter mcoy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Catapult
In summary, the student is trying to make a simple, easy-to-use catapult that doesn't require any gears. He is not sure how to calculate the throwing velocity of the arm. He needs the full formula for the energy stored in an elastic band.
mcoy
I need to make a catapult in less than 2 weeks... it has to be able to throw a 5 cent coin (aust coin) on exactly 2 metres... its not much but i can't figure out what design I'm going to make, since i need to be able to do calculations beforehand and make the catapult using my calcs...
so now i need a good and easy-to-make design... i.e. making a catapult that doesn't need any gears... i was thinking of a counter-weight type but that would be too much for a 5 cent coin... i think...

somebody help me please??

Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't that rather depend on the size of the counterweight, the weight of the arm, and the moment arms involved?

mcoy said:
I need to make a catapult in less than 2 weeks... it has to be able to throw a 5 cent coin (aust coin) on exactly 2 metres... its not much but i can't figure out what design I'm going to make, since i need to be able to do calculations beforehand and make the catapult using my calcs...
so now i need a good and easy-to-make design... i.e. making a catapult that doesn't need any gears... i was thinking of a counter-weight type but that would be too much for a 5 cent coin... i think...
somebody help me please??
Calculations will only give you an approximate result. I would suggest that you use an energy approach.

You have to determine the angle at which the coin leaves the catapult. Then determine how high the coin has to go. Calculate the change in energy of the catapult arm and counterweight between initial and final positions. Assume the energy loss of the arm is gained by the coin.

If you use a spring or elastic band, you have to measure the spring constant and measure the load distance to find the energy stored in the spring. You also have to take into account the kinetic energy of the arm after the coin is released.

AM

Once I was really into building catapults with counter-weights. they are called trebuchets. you can see a movie of one of the big ones (6-feet+) fireing at my site. I also made small ones out of lego and cardboard that shot for small distances (though if you plan it right I know from experience that you can make a 1-foot trebuchet that can shatter a marble on a wall from over 10-feet) a rough approximation for the distace that a trebuchet can shoot is:
[tex]Range = 2 * h * (M_{cw}/m_{p}) [/tex] were h is the distance that the CW falls. You can start with that and then make small changes until it works just right. You can learn a lot about building them on the web.

daniel_i_l said:
Once I was really into building catapults with counter-weights. they are called trebuchets. you can see a movie of one of the big ones (6-feet+) fireing at my site. I also made small ones out of lego and cardboard that shot for small distances (though if you plan it right I know from experience that you can make a 1-foot trebuchet that can shatter a marble on a wall from over 10-feet) a rough approximation for the distace that a trebuchet can shoot is:
[tex]Range = 2 * h * (M_{cw}/m_{p}) [/tex] were h is the distance that the CW falls. You can start with that and then make small changes until it works just right. You can learn a lot about building them on the web.

yeah but firing a coin doesn't need a trebuchet setup... I've done some calculations, but i just need the design, and to callibrate it... i don't have any idea how create and calibrate the initial velocity of the arm (the throwing bit) of the catapult...

Pls help me Calculation on distance

I'm doing a Assignment is to conststruce a captapult that will launch a marshmallow(Large size) at target on the floor at the other end of the classroom.
I designed catapult. the rules saing the energy;; to launch the marshmallow cannot come directly from the motion of a human being.so i used elastic band .
but, they saing to calculate the distance.
so, i use an energy approach. so I determine the angle at which the mashmallow leaves the catapult.then I assume then energy loss of the arm is gained by the marshmallow.but I ued elastic band, but, i don't know how to measure the load distance to find the energy stored in the elaastic band.how to i take into this measure ments...coz, I don't know the formula of the elasticband energy stored.
just i used this formula to find the velocity.
Mgh = 1/2*M*V^2

but I don't consider the elastice band energy :frown:
please anyone could me help to solve this probelm
I need the full foumula how to fine the calculation...
pls sent me to desitamil@gmail.com
Thanks for look through my post.

1. How does a coin-throwing catapult work?

A coin-throwing catapult works by using stored potential energy to launch a coin into the air. When the catapult's arm is pulled back, it stores potential energy in the form of tension in the elastic band or spring. When the arm is released, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, propelling the coin forward.

2. What materials are needed to build a coin-throwing catapult?

The materials needed to build a coin-throwing catapult may vary, but some common items include wood or plastic for the base and arm, an elastic band or spring for tension, and small screws or nails for assembly. Other materials such as glue, tape, and decorations can also be used.

3. How long does it take to build a coin-throwing catapult?

The time it takes to build a coin-throwing catapult depends on the individual's skill level, availability of materials, and dedication to the project. However, with proper planning and consistent work, it can be completed within 2 weeks.

4. Can a coin-throwing catapult be used for other objects besides coins?

Yes, a coin-throwing catapult can be used to launch other small objects such as small fruits, candies, or even paper airplanes. However, it is important to consider the weight and size of the object to ensure it can be launched safely and effectively.

5. Is it safe to use a coin-throwing catapult?

As with any scientific experiment or project, safety should always be a top priority. It is important to follow instructions carefully and use caution when operating the catapult. Additionally, adult supervision is recommended for younger individuals to ensure proper handling and prevent any potential accidents.