What's the Term for Spinning an Olive in a Glass Without Touching It?

• Thread starter Physics whizz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the physicist was asking about a word that he was unable to remember the name for. He was looking for help from others on the PF and was met with a dead end.
Physics whizz
I am writing today as a fellow physicist and would like to ask,
As I am conducting a very important test which I believe could increase mankinds understanding of the universe,
So my question is,
What is that long word called where you can spin an olive in a glass without touching the olive?!?

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics whizz said:
I am writing today as a fellow physicist and would like to ask,
As I am conducting a very important test which I believe could increase mankinds understanding of the universe,
So my question is,
What is that long word called where you can spin an olive in a glass without touching the olive?!?

Welcome to the PF.

Can you please be more specific? Can you provide any web pointers to a YouTube video or something to help us help you on this question? Where have you seen this?

I did a Google Images search on "spin an olive in a glass", and got a couple hits on bartending tricks. See trick #2 in this link:

http://tommen.hubpages.com/hub/Cool-Magic-Tricks

Is that what you are asking about?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tried searching for it but as I can't think of the actual name for it it won't show me any results as to what I'm looking for.
All I really can think of is the example of if you place an olive, grapeor something like that onto a table and place a glass around it, and then start spinning the glass, what is the name of what the affect is. Sorry I can't be that specific :/

I'm just waiting for the part where it "... could increase mankinds understanding of the universe... "

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I'm just waiting for the part where it "... could increase mankinds understanding of the universe... "

Zz.

:rofl:

I hate to break it to you guys but...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGmYE_KLUFdPbjdthiVQWuvwASarKmj_z8UNS-UV7BCDstivNt.jpg

JHamm said:
I hate to break it to you guys but...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGmYE_KLUFdPbjdthiVQWuvwASarKmj_z8UNS-UV7BCDstivNt.jpg

I think it's more likely that he was just trying to make a joke :P

1. What is the difference between classical and quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics is the study of the motion of macroscopic objects using Newton's laws of motion, while quantum mechanics deals with the behavior of particles on a microscopic level and is governed by the principles of uncertainty and wave-particle duality.

2. How do black holes form?

Black holes are formed when a massive star collapses in on itself, creating a gravitational pull so strong that not even light can escape.

3. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, developed by Albert Einstein, is a fundamental theory in physics that explains the relationship between space and time, and how they are affected by gravity.

4. What is the role of mathematics in physics?

Mathematics plays a crucial role in physics as it provides the language and tools for describing and understanding the laws of nature. Many physical phenomena can only be described and predicted using mathematical equations.

5. How does energy conservation work in physics?

Energy conservation is a fundamental principle in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.