Improper integral of odd integrand

In summary, the conversation discusses the improper integral \int_{-1}^{1} \frac{dx}{x} and whether it is convergent or divergent. The person asking the question initially believes it is convergent, but their teacher explains that it is actually divergent due to the limits not existing at x=0. The conversation also touches on the concept of Cauchy principal value and the importance of taking limits in the correct order. Ultimately, it is concluded that the integral is not defined due to the dependence on the order of taking limits.
MHD93
Hello..

Wondering whether I am right that [itex]\int_{-1}^{1} \frac{dx}{x} = 0[/itex], and therefore it's convergent, because my teacher insists on splitting into two divergent improper integrals then he says it's divergent.

Thanks in advnace,,

Physics news on Phys.org
No, amazingly, you are wrong and your teacher is right!

Since that integrand does not exist at x= 0, you have to use the definition:
[tex]\int_{-1}^1 \frac{dx}{x}= \lim_{\alpha\to 0^-}\int_{-1}^\alpha \frac{dx}{x}+ \lim_{\beta\to 0^+}\int_\beta^1\frac{dx}{x}[/tex]
and those limits do not exist.
You cannot just evaluate the anti-derivative at 1, -1, and then subtract- that's ignoring the whole problem of what happens at 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Review the fundamental theorem. It requires that the integrand be continuous on your interval.

OK.. But in the case of 1/x, in what way is it explained that the area at the right of the y-axis is equal to the negative of the left area, and regardless of the fact that they're infinities. Aren't these two infinities equal to each other.

You can talk about two "infinities" (I would prefer to say "infinite sets") having the same cardinality but it make no sense to say two "infinities" are equal.

You're right, the infinities may not be comparable, but I just want to be convinced why it's wrong to think this way: we know that the area at the right of the y-axis is infinite, if we suppose I take any portion of that infinite area, I can take an exactly equal area at the left of the y-axis that cancels it, and therefore the integral converges to zero.

Here is why it doesn't work: we don't take limits in improper integrals simultaneously, we do them one at a time. If we don't, then we're taking a Cauchy principal value, which I mentioned above, and which is *different* from a Riemann integral.

There are two directions to go to infinity towards, and we have to do them one at a time.
+ If we go to the right first, we get +∞. Then, as we go left, it does not go to zero, it will simply stay at positive infinity.
+ If we do them in reverse order, we get -∞, and again it will remain at -∞.

Now for the integral to be defined, it's value has to be independent of arbitrary choices like the order in which we take limits. Since this one depends on that order, it is not defined.

Correction, I was thinking of

[itex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \frac{dx}{x}[/itex].

In fact, in my case there are four limits to consider.

In your case, the idea is the same except that the limits are towards zero, not towards infinity. You'll find the same result in either case, however.

What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where either the upper or lower limit of integration is infinite, or the integrand function is unbounded in the interval of integration.

What does it mean for an integrand to be odd?

An integrand is considered odd if it satisfies the property f(-x) = -f(x), meaning that the function has symmetry about the origin.

How do you evaluate an improper integral of an odd integrand?

To evaluate an improper integral of an odd integrand, the integral can be split into two integrals, one from negative infinity to zero and one from zero to positive infinity. Since the function is odd, the two integrals will be equal in magnitude but opposite in sign, and can be evaluated separately.

What are the conditions for an improper integral of an odd integrand to converge?

An improper integral of an odd integrand will converge if the integral from zero to infinity and the integral from negative infinity to zero both converge.

Are there any special techniques for evaluating improper integrals of odd integrands?

Yes, there are some special techniques such as using trigonometric substitutions or using the properties of odd functions to simplify the integral before evaluating it.