Mathematica always needs a clean start?

In summary, the speaker has been using Mathematica through their school, but recently got their own license. However, they are experiencing glitches and crashes that they did not have when using the school's version. They are seeking advice on how to resolve these issues and someone suggests contacting Wolfram support for assistance. The speaker agrees and shares a link to the support page.
20Tauri
Hi all,

I've been using Mathematica through my school for a couple of years, and I finally got my own license so I can work on my homework when I'm not connected to the campus network (we can run Mathematica on our laptops as long as we can remotely hook up to the server they host it on). It's been really glitchy and having problems I never had when running it through the school. It crashes randomly over things that take very little computing power (like typesetting a square root), and it always seems to reset its preferences and need to be run with a clean start. Any words of wisdom?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you have a new valid license I believe you can contact Wolfram support and they will provide enough support to get you up and running reliably. After that you may be on your own, depending on the license you have.

Yeah, I may have to look into that, because it's doing some really irritating things. If I press the enter key while I'm in an equation cell, the whole thing crashes, which is ridiculous.

Thanks!

1. Why does Mathematica always need a clean start?

Mathematica is a powerful software for computational and mathematical tasks. However, due to its complex algorithms and processes, it is prone to errors and glitches. A clean start is necessary to ensure that the program is running smoothly and all previous calculations and inputs are cleared.

2. What happens if I don't do a clean start in Mathematica?

If you don't do a clean start in Mathematica, previous calculations and inputs may still be stored in the program's memory. This can lead to incorrect outputs and potentially cause errors in your current calculations.

3. How do I perform a clean start in Mathematica?

To perform a clean start in Mathematica, you can either close and reopen the program or use the "Quit" function. This will clear all previous calculations and inputs from the program's memory.

4. Can I save my work before doing a clean start in Mathematica?

Yes, you can save your work before doing a clean start in Mathematica. The program has a built-in save function that allows you to save your current work as a Mathematica notebook or other file types.

5. How often should I do a clean start in Mathematica?

It is recommended to do a clean start in Mathematica before starting a new set of calculations or when encountering errors in the program. However, if you have been working on a large project for an extended period of time, it may be beneficial to do a clean start periodically to ensure the program is running smoothly.