How to find Tension between two boxes

• Thread starter SailorMoon01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of tension (T) in a system where two boxes with equal masses of 5kg each are being pulled with a force of 30N and an acceleration of 3m/s^2. The expert confirms that the formula T=ma applies, with 'm' representing the total mass of both boxes. The tension in the string is calculated to be 15N for each box.
SailorMoon01
A string is attached between two boxes with equal masses of 5kg EACH. The boxes are being pulled with a force of 30N and the acceleration is 3m/s^2.

I think T=ma. But does 'm' mean I have to add both masses?

T=10x3
=30N.

I'm desperate to know if this is right or wrong. Thanks a million! Pleease answer asap! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
and what do u mean by T...the tension in the string?

i think the tension(T) will be 15N
for 1 st box
eq will be 30-T =5(3)
and for second T=5(3)

Yes T is tension.

Thank you so much :)

k then I've wrote what i think
babita said:
i think the tension(T) will be 15N
for 1 st box
eq will be 30-T =5(3)
and for second T=5(3)

welcome :)

1. How do you calculate the tension between two boxes?

To calculate the tension between two boxes, you will need to know the mass of each box, the angle of the rope or string connecting them, and the acceleration due to gravity. Then, you can use the formula T = m*g*cos(theta) to find the tension, where T is the tension, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and theta is the angle between the two boxes.

2. What factors affect the tension between two boxes?

The tension between two boxes is affected by the mass of each box, the angle of the rope or string connecting them, and the acceleration due to gravity. The tension will also increase if the angle between the boxes decreases, and decrease if the angle increases.

3. How does the distance between two boxes affect the tension?

The distance between two boxes does not directly affect the tension between them. However, if the distance between the boxes is large, the tension may be affected by other factors such as the weight of the rope or string and any external forces acting on the boxes.

4. Can the tension between two boxes ever be zero?

Yes, the tension between two boxes can be zero if the two boxes are at rest and not connected by any rope or string. Additionally, if the angle between the boxes is 90 degrees, the tension will be zero.

5. Is there a maximum tension that can exist between two boxes?

There is no maximum tension that can exist between two boxes. The tension will increase as the angle between the boxes decreases, but it can theoretically continue to increase without a limit. However, in practical situations, there may be a maximum tension that the rope or string connecting the boxes can withstand before breaking.