Mileage on Mars - Effect of Gravity on Mileage

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential mileage for a lunar-rover type vehicle that seats six, using liquid methane as fuel. The energy density per kg of methane at 1 bar at 15*C is mentioned, as well as the effect of lower gravity on mileage. The role of mass, regenerative braking, and atmospheric pressure are also brought up. The question of how rolling resistance on soft ground is affected by gravity is raised, and the potential for better mpg on Mars is acknowledged. The conversation also delves into the factors that contribute to drag force on level ground, and the potential for using solar power as a backup for the methane fuel. The question of how the methane will be burned is also posed.
MattRob
Hello,
For a little project I'm doing for fun, I want to know what kind of mileage would be realistic for a light, minimalistic lunar-rover type vehicle that seats six.

Using Wiki, I've found the energy density per kg of methane at 1 bar at 15*C. Unable to find it for liquid methane (my fuel of choice), I've just decided I don't need very much precision (just getting a ballpark sort of estimate), so that would do, and I ignored the loss of energy density from the gas to liquid phase, and from there I've figured that liquid methane has ~70% the energy density as liquid gasoline per volume.

First question; is that going to be a huge error, or just a small one?

But the next step has me stumped; how would the lower gravity effect mileage? Would it be proportionally greater, something more complicated, or make no difference?

Physics news on Phys.org
But the next step has me stumped; how would the lower gravity effect mileage? Would it be proportionally greater, something more complicated, or make no difference?

The mass will be the same. So (ignoring forces like drag and rolling resistance) the same amount of energy is required to reach a given velocity V (eg KE = 0.5mv^2). If the car doesn't have regenerative braking then that energy is lost when slowing down.

As for climbing hills... The weight will be lower so the energy needed to get to the top of a hill will be lower (eg PE = mgmarsh). Again without regenerative braking that's lost on the way down.

Atmospheric pressure is a lot lower on Mars but I suspect you won't be driving around at high speed so the difference in air resistance might not be a big factor?

What I don't know is how the rolling resistance on soft ground depends on g. I suspect the way to view this is that on soft ground a car is effectivly climbing out of it's own hole all the time. So that would scale with g ?

So overall you will get better mpg over the same terrain on Mars but by how much I wouldn't like to say.

If you do plan on driving fast perhaps check that your brakes can dissipate the heat in the thinner atmosphere?

How exactly do you plan to burn the methane?

TheAbsoluTurk said:

Interesting, but not exactly what I was going for...

CWatters said:
The mass will be the same. So (ignoring forces like drag and rolling resistance) the same amount of energy is required to reach a given velocity V (eg KE = 0.5mv^2). If the car doesn't have regenerative braking then that energy is lost when slowing down.

As for climbing hills... The weight will be lower so the energy needed to get to the top of a hill will be lower (eg PE = mgmarsh). Again without regenerative braking that's lost on the way down.

Atmospheric pressure is a lot lower on Mars but I suspect you won't be driving around at high speed so the difference in air resistance might not be a big factor?

What I don't know is how the rolling resistance on soft ground depends on g. I suspect the way to view this is that on soft ground a car is effectivly climbing out of it's own hole all the time. So that would scale with g ?

So overall you will get better mpg over the same terrain on Mars but by how much I wouldn't like to say.

My real question here, I guess, is where drag force comes from on level ground, aerodynamics aside (since it's nearly a vacuum on Mars). I guess the friction would mostly come from the machinery of the engine, wheels, etc (no axle - the system I was thinking of would have an electric drive system powered by a solar panel and a methane/oxygen generator. The idea is, it's primarily driven by methane fuel, but if for some reason that ever runs dry, a solar array provides backup so the vehicle can still possibly inch along if need be. Plus, an electric system would be easier to repair in-field if the undercarriage scrapes rock or is bent than a heavy-built axle, etc).

Assuming it all comes from machinery, I know friction force is normal force multiplied by friction coefficient, creating drag on the moving parts. By that alone, however, they would be frictionless in zero-g, which simply isn't the case; close-fit parts are simply in physical contact with each other, thus, friction from that, too. So it's not entirely proportional to weight, either...

Some of the friction comes from that normal force, some of it just comes from the fact that the parts in are physical contact... So I guess all this is rather complex.

Vanadium 50 said:
How exactly do you plan to burn the methane?

Carrying a tank of LOX to mix it with, of course, then feed it in a generator that produces electrical power to drive the vehicle (funny enough it's electric but I don't think a regenerative braking system would be worth the extra weight and complexity. To save power, just don't brake when unnecessary, and being a system designed for aerospace and Mars, I think the KISS principle applies more than ever, since it's going to necessarily be rather complicated as it is...)

OK, then you will immediately have a factor of 3 loss in mileage because you need ~2 gallons of LOX per gallon of fuel.

Putting aside the extra weight of the LOX I can't see the range getting worse on mars. Perhaps NASA just test it on Earth and consider any extra they get on Mars to be a bonus. I wonder if it's possible to ask them?

1. How does the gravity on Mars affect the mileage of a vehicle?

The gravity on Mars is about one-third of the gravity on Earth. This means that a vehicle on Mars will experience less resistance and require less energy to move, resulting in a higher mileage compared to Earth.

2. Is the mileage on Mars consistent throughout the planet?

No, the mileage on Mars can vary depending on the terrain. Similar to Earth, rough and uneven surfaces will require more energy to traverse, resulting in lower mileage compared to smooth and flat surfaces.

3. Can the effect of gravity on mileage be calculated?

Yes, scientists can calculate the effect of gravity on mileage by using the known gravitational force of Mars and the mass and velocity of the vehicle. This calculation can also be affected by other factors such as air resistance and terrain.

4. How does the mileage on Mars compare to the mileage on Earth?

The mileage on Mars can be significantly higher compared to Earth due to the lower gravity and thinner atmosphere, which results in less resistance and more efficient movement. However, the exact comparison can vary depending on various factors such as terrain and vehicle design.

5. Can the effect of gravity on mileage be used to improve fuel efficiency?

Yes, understanding the effect of gravity on mileage can help in designing more efficient vehicles for Mars exploration. By optimizing the vehicle's design and using energy-efficient technologies, we can maximize the mileage and reduce the need for frequent refueling or recharging on Mars.