Project, parts id and physics explain

In summary, the individual is looking for help with filling holes in their project and understanding what they are trying to achieve. They want to use a spring assembly to store energy and release it over a period of 5-10 seconds to make two wheels spin in a slow and constant fashion. They are considering using a chain or belt to transfer force from the spring to the wheels, but are open to other suggestions. They are also trying to determine the forces involved and if the force on the spring correlates with the force exerted by the wheels. They mention using a plunger as a base model and question if their calculations are correct. They are also looking for a way to release mechanical energy over time, possibly using clock parts. Their project is
Alt-Bringer
im going to need help filling holes and someone to explain to me what I am trying to say/do
ill start with what i want to do, and hopfully someone will be able to tell me what i need
part-wise (i have some idea but not much)

1) I am looking at needing some sort of spring assembly in order to have stored force
release in a slow and semi-constant fashion maybe over 5-10 seconds

the idea being to make 2 "wheels" spin and not abruptly stop if disturbed within that time

2) how to transfer force from spring to the "wheels"

im thinking maybe i can drive a chain/belt to a relatively large gear, then to drive the wheels
have one interact directly with big gear then 2 on the other side one driving the other which
drive the wheel so they spin opposite of each other

my thought is to use easily found/made materials so maybe a chain/belt isn't the best idea

2,a) what connects to the "spring"? (to transfer force)
b) in can't have the wheels driven directly, or theyd stop abruptly,
so i need to have them on some sort of free/flywheel?

3) what forces am i dealing with
on the spring, i think its measured in weight units, ie foot-pounds
at the wheels its velocity

weight and size is a concern, end product hopfully would be near or less than a wood 4x4
(yes i do realize that weight differ by wood species)

in a 2 wheel pitching machine
obviously the wheel rotation affects how fast and/or hard the ball travels
but is it the wheels speed or the torsional force privided by the motor used to measure the force imparted onto the ball?

whats the math part behind it... in moron please, because I am bad with this stuff and
especially numbers (dyscalcula)

Engineering news on Phys.org
ok as for part one all i come up with is a mainspring or "going barrel" (clock parts)
but can i make one that will deliver enough power?

2) i could use 2 springs coiled in opposite directions
then since the housing of a going barrel is a gear, i could directly power both wheels

please reference barrel (horology) at wikipedia for description of what I am talking about

still trying to find out if the force on the springs directly corralates with force imparted by the wheels

i wasnt going to post in my own thread, but i couldn't find an edit button to add this to the main post

force stored = force exerted? clarification

ive asked this in my other posts and elsewhere but no answers
but here i think its cause the question is "burried" among other stuff

...the base model i guess youd call it, that I am going to use this time is
a "plunger" as found on a pinball machine

i think the formula would be (correct me if I am wrong)

force (base) is spring under "full load" = #
force exerted is # - ball weight - gravity

therefore if the ball weight is neglegible and the table was flat or gone then
the ball would travel with the force of # until gravity, friction etc, slows it to zero

am i on the right track,
or am i just clueless?

Your post is unclear. Additional information is required to make sense of what you are trying to do.

Alt-Bringer said:
ok as for part one all i come up with is a mainspring or "going barrel" (clock parts)
but can i make one that will deliver enough power?

2) i could use 2 springs coiled in opposite directions
then since the housing of a going barrel is a gear, i could directly power both wheels

please reference barrel (horology) at wikipedia for description of what I am talking about

still trying to find out if the force on the springs directly corralates with force imparted by the wheels

i wasnt going to post in my own thread, but i couldn't find an edit button to add this to the main post

Your reference to horology is a bit confusing, since in the other parts of your posts you are referring to delivering energy over a 5-10 second interval (rather than just keeping time).

You should do some reading on wikipedia about momentum and inertia (both linear and rotational). You don't store "force", you store energy. A compressed spring stores energy, and you can use wikipedia to learn how much energy is stored. That energy can do work over some distance, Work = Force * Distance. The force available in a compressed spring has to do with its spring constant and how far it is compressed.

If you store rotational energy in a spinning disk, the time it takes to slow down and stop depends on its Moment of Inertia, and how fast it is spinning, and the retarding torque that is trying to slow it down.

all i could find web searing for something that would release mechanical energy over time
was the clock part,
if i didnt need to worry about the wheels stopping the moment someone breathes too hard
i could do a "pull cord" type deal like a mousetrap car

so making something similar but stronger was the idea i came to

my project is to make a "post-apocalypse" themed tech piece
(using readily available salvagable or makeable parts)

so trying to think of what kinds of "bits & bobs" i need, with my limited knowledge of tech,
i come up with springs gears pins and other simple things,

i maybe my problems is that i am trying to explain things, and just "making mountains" as they say

in simple terms ...relativley (just look who your dealing with here)

i want to use a ratcheting lever to build up energy
[part name] to store energy
apply that energy to make 2 wheels spin opposite of each other
and use the spinning of the wheels to impart/exert [term] upon and object

Alt-Bringer said:
all i could find web searing for something that would release mechanical energy over time
was the clock part,
if i didnt need to worry about the wheels stopping the moment someone breathes too hard
i could do a "pull cord" type deal like a mousetrap car

so making something similar but stronger was the idea i came to

my project is to make a "post-apocalypse" themed tech piece
(using readily available salvagable or makeable parts)

so trying to think of what kinds of "bits & bobs" i need, with my limited knowledge of tech,
i come up with springs gears pins and other simple things,

i maybe my problems is that i am trying to explain things, and just "making mountains" as they say

in simple terms ...relativley (just look who your dealing with here)

i want to use a ratcheting lever to build up energy
[part name] to store energy
apply that energy to make 2 wheels spin opposite of each other
and use the spinning of the wheels to impart/exert [term] upon and object

You could use a come-along to ratchet/lift a heavy weight up a few feet, and then release the weight to pull down on a cable that spins your wheels. That might do what you want...

http://www.erasmatazz.com/Personal/WeirdProjects/Gateway/files/comealong.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
a come-along might work...

pull on a spring, disengage ratchet stopper... i think its called a catch?

can use sprockets on wheels instead, put them close enough together
so a bike chain can be pulled between them

would function similar enough to what i was thinking

would be "instantaineous" or "burst" release of energy though

if i could just figure out how to get a prolonged reaction
in berkeman's example, that's solved by travel time of the weight, if I am thinking right

but for my use, i want to keep small scale, as to make a hand-held device

i had an idea, but ruled it out once i realized how it worked... (garage door spring)

new thought,
maybe i can negate the need for a prolonged reaction
if said object is already in contact with the wheels,

which raises the question again, (admitedly i worded it bad)

in a scenario of a pitching machine, is it the velocity (speed) of the tire rotation
or the amount of force used make the tires spin,
that is the power behind the pitch?

in otherwords, do i have to get the wheels spinning "at speed" first
or does the "instant" release of energy of a spring take care of that

Last edited:
You didn't do the reading assignment that I gave you. Bad on you.

Please do the reading on energy and moment of inertia. That will answer your questions. If you have specific questions about those readings, post them here with links to the articles.

ow, my brain hurts,

i had an easier time reading "the republic" by plato (gave up on that rather quick)

all i see is math written in symbols (the equations) and the little bit trying to explain what it means
by using the equasion, most of it is going over my head (i did legitimatly try)
so far all i really understand among all that is

the potential of a spring is proprtional to how much its stretch/compressed
and if force is applied to something, it moves (with equivalent force)

lets see if i can guess at it,

in my situation, the force applied is equal the tension on the spring

wheel spin is, propotional? to the force,
velocity imparted would be proportionate to how fast the wheels spin
ie put a speedometer on the wheel and that would tell me how fast the object would travel if the objects mass?
was the same

so force for calculating spin
but for the work potential of the object wheel spin = velocity
its weight and velocity to calculate impact strength

so, all my confussion was cause i had it backwards in tring to figure force to impact
instead of force to spin, spin to object, velocity x? weight = impact force

and as far as object simply causing the wheels to stop
is a matter of having just enough contact pressure for the wheels to "grab"

would i be better off with something where i squeeze/pump a trigger causing the wheels to spin

Last edited:
I would probably just use a hand crank through a gear box to spin up the wheels...

1. What is a project in the context of science?

A project in science refers to a planned and systematic investigation or study of a particular phenomenon, problem, or question. It usually involves collecting and analyzing data, making observations, and forming conclusions based on evidence.

2. What is the purpose of identifying parts in a project?

Identifying parts in a project is important because it helps to understand the structure and function of a system. It allows scientists to break down complex systems into smaller components and study each part individually to gain a better understanding of how the system works as a whole.

3. How does physics play a role in a project?

Physics is the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It plays a crucial role in a project by providing the fundamental principles and laws that govern the behavior of natural phenomena. By applying physics principles, scientists can make predictions and explain the observed outcomes of a project.

4. Can you explain the concept of "parts" in physics?

In physics, parts refer to the different components or elements that make up a system. These can include physical objects, forces, particles, or energy sources. Understanding the parts of a system is essential for studying its behavior and making accurate predictions.

5. Why is it important to explain the physics behind a project?

Explaining the physics behind a project is crucial because it provides a scientific explanation for the observed results. It allows for a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and mechanisms at play and can help to validate the findings of the project. Additionally, it can also lead to further advancements and applications in the field of physics.