Modding an LED Fan: Easy Steps to Control Colors

• Thread starter beachead92
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fan Led
In summary, the person is seeking help with swapping out the blue LEDs in their 200mm LED fan for tri-color LEDs. They want to run a switch through the LED loop to control the LED colors and mount the switch into a PCI slot on their computer. They are looking for ideas on how to approach this situation and a forum link is provided as a possible resource for understanding the fan's current wiring and how to do the modification.
beachead92
I was wondering if anyone could help me with this.

I have a 200mm LED fan that currently has blue LEDs in it. I would like to swap them out for tri-color LEDs and run a switch through the LED loop to control which LED would turn on. I want to mount the switch into a PCI slot in the back of my pc. the switch would get power in from the LED loop and disperse power out in three stages, one for each LED color anode. the fourth stage would be off. anyone have an idea on how to approach a situation like this?

Engineering news on Phys.org

What is modding an LED fan?

Modding an LED fan involves making modifications to the fan's circuitry in order to control the colors of the LED lights. This allows for customization and personalization of the fan's appearance.

What tools are needed for modding an LED fan?

The tools needed for modding an LED fan include a soldering iron, wire cutters, wire strippers, electrical tape, and a multimeter to test the connections.

Is modding an LED fan difficult?

Modding an LED fan can be challenging for those without experience in electronics and soldering. However, with proper research, instructions, and precautions, it can be accomplished by most individuals.

What are the risks of modding an LED fan?

The main risk of modding an LED fan is damaging the fan or its components if the modifications are not done correctly. It is important to follow instructions carefully and take proper safety precautions when working with electricity.

Can modding an LED fan void its warranty?

Yes, modding an LED fan is considered a modification to the original product and can void its warranty. It is important to check the terms of the warranty before making any modifications.