Is it difficult to find engineering jobs in NYC?

In summary, an engineering company may be difficult to find in the City, but there are some located in Manhattan. There are many engineering societies, some of which can provide resources for finding a job.
ranger
Gold Member
Are there any engineering companies in NYC? My prof. at school says he's teaching because he can't find a job as an enginieer in the City. He told me that the City is more Business and Finance related.

How true is this? I'm now beginning to think that I would have a hard time finding a job after college. Can anyone give me some advice on this situation.

--thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
What type of engineering? There are some big name Civil and Structural engineering and Transportation engineering companies, like Parsons and Washington Group International in NYC.

Parsons - http://www.parsons.com/
New York City
100 Broadway
New York, NY 10005
212-266-8300
212-571-6825 fax

Washington Group International - http://www.wgint.com/
One Penn Plaza, 32nd floor
New York, New York USA 10119
http://www.wgint.com/locations/locations_na_newyork.html

I would recommend contacting an engineering society in your discipline and getting information from them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be looking for anything in the computer, electrical or electronics engineering field.

My major is in Computer Engineering.

I would recommend contacting an engineering society in your discipline and getting information from them.

Engineering Society? Is there a website I can look at to help me locate this. I've never heard of these societies before.

You don't generally hear about them until you get further along, but most disciplines have one... http://www.computer.org

You know, you should probably mention that you're looking for computer engineering jobs in your opening post. I was about to tell you of a guy I know that owns a chemical engineering firm in Manhattan that does mostly civic work, but then I scroll down . . .

russ_watters said:
You don't generally hear about them until you get further along, but most disciplines have one... http://www.computer.org
I'll second Russ's post. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc., (IEEE - www.ieee.org) is the premier Electrical and Electronic Engineering Society. Russ gave you the link to the IEEE Computer Society.

Find the local chapter at your university and get involved. IEEE's corporate offices are in Manhattan.

They have a jobs page - http://careers.ieee.org/

And there is a student section - look for "Student resources" on the left side of the homepage.

I can tell you that working in that area was tough for an ME to find a job. I had to look for quite a while to find an aerospace job I was eligible for. It seemed like in the NY area, when you say engineer, people immediately think of buildings and fire prevention etc... It was tough. Grumman in Bethpage was going through a hiring of a lot of EE and comp sci guys a couple of years ago but I didn't look into it though. It's a tough area for engineering though. Good luck.

Hey Fred how about jobs outside the NYC area. Mayb upstate or in New Jersey?

I honestly didn't look there. It would have been just too far of a commute for my liking.

Hi Ranger,

If you're willing to branch out, you'll find something. A really good friend of mine (Comp. Eng. graduated from U of Illinois eary 90s) has been working for GE almost ever since he graduated. He's since moved up to management, but he started off kinda like the techie guy I believe - loves his job. Another friend, chemimical eng. degree from Texas A&M - works for UBS.

Though I go to school out west, I'm from the Bronx. And before heading off to college (late starter), I had already felt out the industry a bit. Granted, NYC is more of a playground for business and finance majors (as someone was saying ealier), but if you're willing to somehow combine your computer engineering degree with something that there is a demand for in the city (which isn't hard to do), I don't see you having much of a problem. Computer engineering isn't as limiting as say, an automotive engineering degree, so you should be fine.

My two cents :).

What types of engineering jobs are available in NYC?

There are a variety of engineering jobs available in NYC, including software engineering, civil engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and biomedical engineering.

What qualifications do I need to apply for engineering jobs in NYC?

The qualifications for engineering jobs in NYC vary depending on the specific field and position. Generally, a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field is required, along with relevant experience in the field.

What are the average salaries for engineering jobs in NYC?

The average salary for engineering jobs in NYC can vary greatly depending on the specific field, experience level, and company. However, according to Glassdoor, the average salary for engineers in NYC is around $95,000 per year.

What are the top engineering companies in NYC?

There are many top engineering companies in NYC, including Google, Amazon, Microsoft, IBM, and General Electric. However, there are also many smaller and startup companies that offer exciting opportunities for engineers.

What is the job outlook for engineering jobs in NYC?

The job outlook for engineering jobs in NYC is generally positive. With the city being a hub for technology and innovation, there is a high demand for engineers in various fields. However, competition for these jobs can also be high, so it is important to have a strong education and relevant experience.