What is the force exerted on the Deligne Dam by water pressure?

• Thread starter PreMedder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    River
In summary, the Deligne Dam on the Cayley River has a wall facing the water that is shaped like the region above the curve y=0.7x^2 and below the line y=300. The water level is 38 meters below the top of the dam. To find the force exerted on the dam by water pressure, we need to calculate the integral of (sqrt(y*4/0.7)(300-y)*dy) from 300 to 0, multiplied by 1000 kg/m^3 and 9.8 m/sec^2.In the second problem, the trough is 7 feet long and 1 foot high, with a cross-section shaped like the graph of y=x^4
PreMedder
(1 pt) The Deligne Dam on the Cayley River is built so that the wall facing the water is shaped like the region above the curve y=0.7 x^2 and below the line y= 300. (Here, distances are measured in meters.) The water level is 38 meters below the top of the dam. Find the force (in Newtons) exerted on the dam by water pressure. (Water has a density of 1000 kg/m^3, and the acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/sec^2 .)

please help with this problem. I've been working on it every which way I can and my integrals STILL WRONG. URGH!

as well as this problem :
(1 pt) A trough is 7 feet long and 1 foot high. The vertical cross-section of the trough parallel to an end is shaped like the graph of y=x^{4} from x=-1 to x=1 . The trough is full of water. Find the amount of work in foot-pounds required to empty the trough by pumping the water over the top. Note: The weight of water is 62 pounds per cubic foot.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you've been working on it "every which way", tell us what you have done so that we CAN help you.

(1000 * 9.8 ) * integral of (sqrt(y*4/0.7)(300-y)*dy) from 300 to 0 <--that is wrong...i also don't what to use as my d? for pdg

What is the Deligne Dam of Cayley River?

The Deligne Dam of Cayley River is a large-scale hydroelectric dam located in the Cayley River in Canada. It was constructed in the mid-20th century and is considered a major engineering feat.

How does the Deligne Dam of Cayley River generate electricity?

The dam uses the force of the river's water flow to spin turbines, which then generate electricity through a generator. The electricity is then transmitted to nearby cities and towns for use.

What are the environmental impacts of the Deligne Dam of Cayley River?

The dam has both positive and negative environmental impacts. On one hand, it provides renewable energy and helps reduce greenhouse gas emissions. On the other hand, it disrupts the natural flow of the river and can harm local wildlife habitats.

What safety measures are in place for the Deligne Dam of Cayley River?

The dam is regularly inspected and maintained to ensure its structural integrity. It also has emergency protocols in place in case of extreme weather or other unforeseen events. Additionally, warning systems are in place to alert nearby communities in case of a potential breach.

What is the economic significance of the Deligne Dam of Cayley River?

The dam provides a significant source of electricity for nearby cities and towns, helping to power homes, businesses, and industries. It also creates jobs and economic opportunities in the area through its construction and maintenance.