Finding resistance using a series and parallel circuit?

In summary: That is not helpful at all. Please do not give out complete solutions to problems, especially when it is not explicitly asked for. In summary, two resistors with resistances R1 and R2 are connected in series and parallel to a 12.0V battery. The current from the battery is 2.00A in the series circuit and 9.00A in the parallel circuit. Using Ohm's Law, the equations V=IR and R=V/I, we can determine that R1 and R2 are the same resistance in both circuits. Solving for R1 and R2, we can use the equations V/I=R1+R2 for the series circuit and V/I=(R1*R2
shaffeb

Homework Statement

:Two resistors have resistances R1 and R2. When the resistors are connected in series to a 12.0V battery, the current from the battery is 2.00A. When the resistors are connected in parallel to the battery the total current from the battery is 9.00A. Determine R1 and R2.

Homework Equations

: V=IR Ohms Law

The Attempt at a Solution

:
I know that R1 and R2 are the same resistance in both circuits, or R1 and R2 in series = R1 and R2 in parallel.

I also know that the current remains the same in series but changes in the parralel circuit and that the voltage is not constant in series but the same voltage is applied over the resistors in a parallel circuit.

V=I(R1+R2)
R1+R2=V/2.00A=12.0volts/I
Thus V/2.00A=12.0volts/I

I get confused at this point and am not quite sure how to proceed in finding V or I and thus solve for R1 and R2.

Physics news on Phys.org
shaffeb said:

Homework Statement

:Two resistors have resistances R1 and R2. When the resistors are connected in series to a 12.0V battery, the current from the battery is 2.00A. When the resistors are connected in parallel to the battery the total current from the battery is 9.00A. Determine R1 and R2.

Homework Equations

: V=IR Ohms Law

The Attempt at a Solution

:
I know that R1 and R2 are the same resistance in both circuits, or R1 and R2 in series = R1 and R2 in parallel.

I also know that the current remains the same in series but changes in the parralel circuit and that the voltage is not constant in series but the same voltage is applied over the resistors in a parallel circuit.

V=I(R1+R2)
R1+R2=V/2.00A=12.0volts/I
Thus V/2.00A=12.0volts/I

I get confused at this point and am not quite sure how to proceed in finding V or I and thus solve for R1 and R2.

You're given V and i in this problem. Draw circuits for both cases of series and parrallel circuit. From there you can see how to solve it, then wite out the equations. Hint: Reduce the resistances to one equivalent circuit for both cases. Also why do you think R1 = R2?

Last edited:
I didn't mean to say that R1 = R2 I just meant that R1 and R2 in the series must equal R1 and R2 in the parallel.

Is it ok to assume that V/2.00 A = 12.0 Volts/I since R1 in series is equal to R1 in parralel and R2 in series equals R2 in parallel?

Yea that works, and I see what you're trying to do. The method I posted in my first post would not need to find V and I.

Is it simple algebra from here or am I missing something? I keep getting nonsense answers. Thanks

Well I would be careful of the way you're labeling V and i. Like label it i1 and i2, for the currents going through R1 and R2 in the parallel circuit. Same thing for the voltages in the series circuit. Also post up what you have so far, so maybe someone else can help you out. :smile:

one resistance is 2 ohm the other one is 4 ohm.

For parallel:
R[tot]=V/I and (R[1]*R[2])/(R[1]+R[2]), therefore: V/I=(R[1]*R[2])/(R[1]+R[2])

For searies:
R[tot]= V/I and R[1]+R[2], therefore V/I=R[1]+R[2]

Now you have two unknown and two equations, isolate R[1] or R[2] from V/I=R[1]+R[2] and put into V/I=(R[1]*R[2])/(R[1]+R[2]), then one of the resistance is known and the otherone is easily found.

Hope this solves the problem

nybui said:
one resistance is 2 ohm the other one is 4 ohm.

For parallel:
R[tot]=V/I and (R[1]*R[2])/(R[1]+R[2]), therefore: V/I=(R[1]*R[2])/(R[1]+R[2])

For searies:
R[tot]= V/I and R[1]+R[2], therefore V/I=R[1]+R[2]

Now you have two unknown and two equations, isolate R[1] or R[2] from V/I=R[1]+R[2] and put into V/I=(R[1]*R[2])/(R[1]+R[2]), then one of the resistance is known and the otherone is easily found.

Hope this solves the problem

:bugeye: :mad: What are you doing? You just gave him pretty much the entire solution to problem.

1. What is resistance in a circuit?

Resistance is the measure of how much a material or component impedes the flow of electric current through a circuit. It is measured in Ohms (Ω) and is represented by the symbol R.

2. How is resistance calculated in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances. This can be calculated using the formula Rtotal = R1 + R2 + R3 + ... where R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances in the circuit.

3. How is resistance calculated in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the total resistance is less than the smallest individual resistance. It can be calculated using the formula 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... where R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances in the circuit. The inverse of the total resistance is then taken to find the total resistance value.

4. How do I measure resistance in a circuit?

Resistance can be measured using a multimeter, which is a device that measures various electrical properties including resistance. The multimeter is connected to the circuit and the resistance value is displayed on the screen.

5. How does resistance affect the flow of current in a circuit?

The higher the resistance in a circuit, the lower the flow of current. This is because resistance impedes the flow of current and converts electrical energy into heat. Therefore, as resistance increases, the amount of current that can flow through the circuit decreases.