Solving the Mystery of Water Freezing Instantly in a Bowl

In summary, the conversation is about supercooled water and how it can turn into ice with the help of a "seed" of ice or impurity. The participants discuss the best temperature and type of water to use for this experiment.
katchum
http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1755006

This may be old but...

How does this work? They need to have a huge warmth transfer coefficient for this to happen? Maybe the water is at 0°C already and a small amount of energy should be taken to get this effect. Is it electromagnetical or is the bowl just cooled with liquid nitrogen or something. The conductivity of water can't be that great?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, it is just supercooled water. You can cool water well under 0°C but it will not transform in ice if there is not a "seed" of ice or some "good" impurity.

What temperature do you recommend for the refrigerator? Half filled or fully filled bottle? Maybe some distillation of the water first?

Last edited:
Sorry, I have never tried. But I think that I will begin with just commercial mineral water as you buy it (before opening the bottle). And begin with a temperature of just -1 or -2 °C. If it doesn't work, I would try distilled water for medical applications (in the unopened original bottle). But as I said, I have never tried myself.

What causes water to freeze instantly in a bowl?

The most likely cause of water freezing instantly in a bowl is the presence of impurities in the water. These impurities act as a nucleation point, allowing the water to freeze at a faster rate than it normally would.

Why does the water freeze in a bowl and not in other containers?

The shape and material of the bowl may play a role in the quick freezing of the water. A bowl with a smooth surface and a larger surface area may allow for better heat transfer, causing the water to freeze faster.

Are there any other factors that can contribute to instant freezing of water in a bowl?

Yes, the temperature of the bowl and the surrounding environment can also play a role in the quick freezing of water. If the bowl is colder than the freezing point of water, it can help initiate the freezing process.

Can the instant freezing of water in a bowl be replicated in a controlled environment?

Yes, scientists have been able to replicate this phenomenon in laboratory experiments by controlling the purity of the water and the temperature of the bowl. However, it may be difficult to replicate the exact conditions that lead to instant freezing in a bowl in real-life scenarios.

Can instant freezing of water in a bowl be dangerous?

In most cases, instant freezing of water in a bowl is not dangerous. However, if the bowl is made of a fragile material, such as glass, it may shatter due to the sudden expansion of the water as it freezes. It is always best to use caution when handling frozen objects.