Electric potential inside non-conducting sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric potential at different radial distances from a nonconducting sphere with a uniformly distributed charge. Different methods and equations are suggested, and a PDF is provided for reference. The final solution is dependent on the location of the reference point.
irnubcake

Homework Statement

A nonconducting sphere has radius R = 3.71 cm and uniformly distributed charge q = +3.76 fC. Take the electric potential at the sphere's center to be V0 = 0. What is V in volts at radial distance (a) r = 1.00 cm and (b) r = R?

Homework Equations

I suppose:
Electric field of spherical shell = ( 1 / (4 x pi x E) ) * ( q / r² )

The Attempt at a Solution

Completely stuck, don't even know where to begin > <.

Physics news on Phys.org
we have by gauss law (im using cgs): E=Q/r^2
the direction is radial, so you have a differential equation of dV/dr=Q/r^2, you know to solve this don't you?

I have a question: I have a nonconducting sphere with a 0.06m radius with a 2*10^-8 C charge inside. I need to find V at a 0.03m radius.

From MathematicalPhycisist I have to find (using Gauss) how the electric field varies with distance. According to him its: E = Q/r^2. I am using the IS units i don't know how that changes Gauss' equation: E.da= dq/E0. So I replace E with its equivalent function: E= Q/r^2. in the differential equation: dV = E dr ---> dV = (Q/r^2) dr. I integrate to find the potential V and I get -Q(1/r) and I plug in 0.03m where the "r" is. I already have the answer to the problem and this way to solve the problem does not match with answer which is: 6.18 * 10^3 V. Can somebody please help me?

MathematicalPhysicist said:
we have by gauss law (im using cgs): E=Q/r^2
the direction is radial, so you have a differential equation of dV/dr=Q/r^2, you know to solve this don't you?

I'm afraid that's a little unrelated, MathematicalPhysicist.
That may be the form that Gauss' Law gives you for r>R, but inside the spherical shell, there is no charge, and therefore Gauss' Law gives you 0 field inside, and r <= R is what the question is asking.

Since the difference in potential is the path integral of the E field, you find 0 difference in potential between any two points inside the spherical shell.

The potential on the very edge of the shell is an interesting question though... My intuition tells me it's 0, but I'm finding it hard to convince myself that is the case...

(Oh, the question may have been poorly phrased, with r standing for the radial distance from the surface of the shell, rather than from its center. If that is the case, then MathematicalPhysicist's advice is spot-on)

I've been searching the internet for the solution and I've found a pretty good .pdf explaining how its supposed to be solved. Link:http://iweb.tntech.edu/murdock/books/v4chap4.pdf".

Depending at where your reference point V=0 is, the way to solve this problem may change. If your reference point is at a distance infinity the solution is:

(1/4*pi*Eo) * q(3R^2-r^2)/(2*R^2);

Where the first part of the equation corresponds to the electric constant, k. q is the charge inside the non conductive sphere, R is the radius of the sphere (from the center to the surface), and r is the distance from the center to the point where you want to measure V.

I haven't found the answer when its a shell. But in this its a solid sphere, and at the surface V is:

(1/4*pi*Eo) * q(R^2);

Well I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the amount of electric potential energy that a charged particle possesses per unit of charge. It is a scalar quantity and is typically measured in volts.

What is a non-conducting sphere?

A non-conducting sphere, also known as an insulating sphere, is a solid object that does not allow the flow of electricity. This means that charges placed on the surface of the sphere will not move freely and will remain in place.

How is electric potential calculated inside a non-conducting sphere?

The electric potential inside a non-conducting sphere is calculated using the formula V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge on the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere.

What factors affect the electric potential inside a non-conducting sphere?

The electric potential inside a non-conducting sphere is affected by the charge on the sphere, the distance from the center of the sphere, and the Coulomb's constant. Additionally, the presence of other nearby charged objects can also affect the electric potential inside the sphere.

Can the electric potential inside a non-conducting sphere ever be zero?

Yes, the electric potential inside a non-conducting sphere can be zero. This occurs when the charge on the sphere is zero or when the distance from the center of the sphere is infinite. In these cases, the electric potential is equal to zero at all points inside the sphere.