Real analysis- Convergence/l.u.b

In summary, there exists an s in a subset of the real numbers, b-epsilon<=s<b, such that (b-epsilon)<=s <= b.
Scousergirl
I'm having a little difficulty understanding Epsilon in the definition of convergence. From what the book says it is any small real number greater than zero (as small as you can imagine?). Also, since I don't quite grasp what this epsilon is and how it helps define convergence, I am having difficulty applying it to the following problem:

Let b=Least upper bound of a set S (S is a subset of the real numbers) that is bounded and non empty. Then Given epsilon greater than 0, there exists an s in S such that (b-Epsilon)<= s <= b.

I started by proving that there exists an s in S, but I cannot figure out how to relate this all to epsilon. What is confusing me I guess is the actual definition of S. Can the set {1*, b} satisfy the requirements of s (it is a subset of the real numbers, bounded above by b and non empty) but then how do we show that the statement is true for s=1*. Also, b doesn't have to part of S right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A bounded set has many upper bounds. The least upper bound b is the one that is low enough that if you pick any number less than b (b-Epsilon) no matter how small the Epsilon, then that number is not an upper bound. And yes, b doesn't have to be in S. After that, you confuse me. What's 1*?

Ok, I think I understand the least upper bound part of the question, I just don't know how to go about proving that ANY subset of the real numbers (S) that is non empty and bounded above by b must contain an element s such that (b-epsilon)<= s <= b.

1* is a dedekind cut (the real number 1 basically). Doesn't a set say S={1 , b} satisfy these conditions yet if I choose a small epsilon, 1 is not neccesarily greater or equal to (b-epsilon).

Mmm. That's the DEFINITION of least upper bound. I.e. it's the definition of 'b'. You don't have to prove there is such an s. If b is least upper bound of S there is such an s for every epsilon. Otherwise it's not a least upper bound. A dedekind cut is two subsets of the rationals with special properties. Neither subset is even bounded. The least upper bound of S={1,b} is 1 if b>1 and b if b<1. I think this concept is much less complicated than you think it is.

hmmm...I think maybe I am confusing multiple concepts here. The question that I am having difficulty with is how to prove that such an s exists for all subsets of the real numbers. (b-epsilon)<= s <= b.

I tried tackling it by contradiction:

Assume there does not exist an s in S such that (b-epsilon)<= s. Thus for all s in S, s< (b-epsilon). Is this a contradiction to the fact that b is the least upper bound of S?

Such an s does not exist for all subsets of the real numbers. Some aren't bounded. So there is no b. On the other hand for this "Assume there does not exist an s in S such that (b-epsilon)<= s. Thus for all s in S, s< (b-epsilon). Is this a contradiction to the fact that b is the least upper bound of S?". Yes, that contradicts b being least upper bound. But this is getting really confusing for me as well as for you, it's getting existential. Try dealing with well defined subsets of the reals and figuring out what the least upper bound is and what it means. It sounds much more confusing in the abstract than what it really is. Trust me.

What is convergence in real analysis?

Convergence in real analysis refers to the idea of a sequence of numbers or functions approaching a specific limit as the number of terms or input values increases. In other words, it is the process of getting closer and closer to a particular value or function as we add more terms or input values.

What is the difference between pointwise and uniform convergence?

Pointwise convergence refers to the convergence of a sequence of functions at each individual point, while uniform convergence means that the entire sequence of functions converges to the same limit at the same rate at every point.

What is the least upper bound (l.u.b) property?

The least upper bound (l.u.b) property is a fundamental concept in real analysis that states that any non-empty set of real numbers that is bounded above must have a least upper bound, which is the smallest number that is still greater than all the elements in the set.

Why is the l.u.b property important?

The l.u.b property is important because it allows us to make precise statements about the existence and uniqueness of limits in real analysis. It also forms the basis for important concepts such as completeness and compactness in mathematics.

Can a sequence converge without having a limit?

No, a sequence cannot converge without having a limit. In fact, the definition of convergence requires the existence of a limit. If a sequence does not have a limit, it is considered to be divergent.