Is it possible to have my laptop's lcd screen resurfaced?

In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of replacing a plastic cover on a laptop screen without having to replace the entire screen. Suggestions were made to contact the manufacturer's service department or a third party service such as ScreenTek. It was also mentioned that the repolarization process may require a back up screen, and the possibility of needing to replace the entire LCD screen section.
Werg22
I have a small scratch on my screen, at the plastic cover level. Is it possible to have the plastic cover replaced without replacing the entire screen?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I would think so. The LCD itself will have a glass cover, and the plastic over-cover would be there to protect the glass. Where did you buy the laptop? You should be able to give their service department a call for a quote.

I called them and they told me they don't offer this service and advised me to look for a third party service. I'll see what I can find.

Werg,

A company called ScreenTek (http://www.screentekinc.com) can do this for you. The only thing is, they have to have your screen in stock to complete the repolarization of the screen. This is due to the fact that the repolarization process can be difficult and if the first try doesn't work out, they have to have a back up screen for you.

Good luck.

What Kevin said as well. If the screen is still visibile, but it's darker than hell, it's the backlight. Depending on the manufacturer, it may require the entire LCD screen section to be replaced.

1. Can my laptop's LCD screen be resurfaced?

Yes, it is possible to have your laptop's LCD screen resurfaced. This process involves removing the damaged or scratched outer layer of the screen and replacing it with a new one.

2. How do I know if my laptop's LCD screen needs to be resurfaced?

If your laptop's screen is visibly scratched, cracked, or has dead pixels, it may need to be resurfaced. You may also notice distorted or fuzzy images on the screen, which can also indicate the need for resurfacing.

3. How long does the resurfacing process take?

The time it takes to resurface a laptop's LCD screen can vary depending on the extent of the damage and the availability of replacement parts. In most cases, it can take anywhere from a few hours to a day.

4. Is resurfacing my laptop's LCD screen expensive?

The cost of resurfacing a laptop's LCD screen can vary depending on the make and model of the laptop and the extent of the damage. However, it is usually more cost-effective than replacing the entire screen.

5. Can I resurface my laptop's LCD screen myself?

It is not recommended to attempt to resurface your laptop's LCD screen yourself unless you have experience and the necessary tools. This process can be complex and if not done correctly, it can cause further damage to the screen.