During a solar eclipse calculate forces.etc

In summary, during a solar eclipse, the moon, Earth, and sun align in a straight line with the moon between Earth and the sun. The force exerted on the moon by the sun can be calculated using Newton's universal law of gravitation, which takes into account the masses of the objects and the distance between them. However, in order to get the correct answer, it is important to use the correct units for the gravitational constant, which is 6.673*10^-11 m^3/kg/s^2.
lettertwelve
During a solar eclipse...calculate forces...etc

Homework Statement

During a solar eclipse, the moon, Earth, and sun lie on the same line, with the moon between Earth and the sun.
(a) What force is exerted on the moon by the sun?
__________N
(b) What force is exerted on the moon by Earth?
__________N
(c) What force is exerted on Earth by the sun?
__________N

Homework Equations

F=(G*M1*M2)/R^2

The Attempt at a Solution

scroll down.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
R is the distance between the centres of the objects -- not the radius.
(it's R because it's the radius of the orbit)

mgb_phys said:
R is the distance between the centres of the objects -- not the radius.
(it's R because it's the radius of the orbit)

ok so for part A i did:

G=6.67*10^-11
Mass of moon: 7.36*10^22 kg
Mass of sun: 1.99*10^30 kg
dist between sun and moon: 1.5*10^11 m

(6.67*10^-11)(7.36*10^22)(1.99*10^30) ALL OVER (1.5*10^11) and i got 6.51e31

but it says it's incorrect...
should i be converting to Newtons?

G=6.67*10-11 -- you are missing the units! G is not a number like pi. It is a physical constant, which means its value depends on the units in which it is represented.

D H said:
G=6.67*10-11 -- you are missing the units! G is not a number like pi. It is a physical constant, which means its value depends on the units in which it is represented.

alright then.. i don't know what the units would be in this case for G. i just know it's a universal constant. i never knew i would have to convert it somehow, and either way i still don't know how right now :(

It is 6.673*10-11 m3/kg/s2. So of course you got the wrong answer when you mixed meters and kilometers.

D H said:
It is 6.673*10-11 m3/kg/s2. So of course you got the wrong answer when you mixed meters and kilometers.

thank you, but...that is very confusing, and my teacher failed to mention those units in class. now i REALLY am confused as to how to incorporate it into the equation!

Sorry. For some reason I saw you using kilometers. You did use meters.

You're problem is here:

lettertwelve said:
(6.67*10^-11)(7.36*10^22)(1.99*10^30) ALL OVER (1.5*10^11) and i got 6.51e31

What is the equation for the gravitational force?

D H said:
What is the equation for the gravitational force?

for which planet? i know that for Earth we should multiply the number by 10 to get it in Newtons from Kilograms

I am talking about Newton's universal law of gravitation. You applied it incorrectly.

D H said:
I am talking about Newton's universal law of gravitation. You applied it incorrectly.

it's Fnet=ma
and F of gravity ~ (m1*m2)/d^2

how did i apply it incorrectly

You divided by the distance, not the square of the distance.

1. What is the force that causes a solar eclipse to occur?

The force that causes a solar eclipse is the gravitational pull of the moon on the Earth. This causes the moon to align between the sun and the Earth, blocking the sunlight and casting a shadow on the Earth.

2. How do scientists calculate the forces involved during a solar eclipse?

Scientists use Newton's laws of motion and gravity to calculate the forces involved during a solar eclipse. They take into account the mass and distance of the objects involved, as well as the gravitational constant.

3. Can the force of a solar eclipse affect other objects in space?

Yes, the force of a solar eclipse can affect other objects in space. For example, the gravitational pull of the moon during a solar eclipse can cause small changes in the orbit of satellites around the Earth.

4. Are there any other forces at play during a solar eclipse?

Aside from the gravitational force, there are no other significant forces at play during a solar eclipse. However, there may be minor atmospheric and magnetic effects that can occur during this time.

5. How do scientists use the forces calculated during a solar eclipse?

Scientists use the forces calculated during a solar eclipse to better understand the motion and behavior of celestial bodies in our solar system. This information can also be used to make predictions and observations about future solar eclipses.