Discover the Wonders of the Night Sky with WorldWide Telescope

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter Daniel Y.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Telescope
In summary, the conversation is discussing a software called Worldwide Telescope, which helps with familiarizing oneself with the night sky. Some users find it helpful, while others prefer using other resources with non-unified interfaces. The software also allows for batch queries and can be used for projects involving galaxies. The size of the software is a topic of discussion, with some finding it large and others not considering it to be a big download.
Daniel Y.
So what do you guys think of this software? Do you use it often? Like it? Hate it? By some strange chance haven't heard of it or downloaded it?

Here's a link to the website:

http://www.worldwidetelescope.org/

I was astronomically challenged before using the software, but it's been really helped me familiarize myself with the night sky.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I was going to download it but it's HUGE. Looked nice though.

It's OK, but you get less overhead and more flexibility if you will use other resources with non-unified interfaces. Like the Canadian Astronomy Data Center for example. You can also do batch queries. http://www2.cadc-ccda.hia-iha.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/cadc/

In our M51-type galaxy association project, we relied heavily on IRSA, with its DSS, SDSS, and 2MASS front-ends. DSS was the most useful, and comparative observation between blue, red, and infrared bands helped us identify structure in the galaxies. Active star-forming regions tend to look more luminous in blue, as do HII galaxies, and the older materials tend to be luminous in the red bands. Also, we used the DSS plate scans in reverse grayscale, since that makes faint structure stand out more readily than positive images.
http://irsa.ipac.caltech.edu/applications/FinderChart/

Last edited:
I use it almost every day. A very satisfactory resources for no cost... it is indeed big though.

Evo said:
I was going to download it but it's HUGE. Looked nice though.

robertm said:
... it is indeed big though.

Huh!? It's 20 MB? I regularly download 2 GB+ stuff. How can you guys consider the download to be big?

What do you download that is 2Gb+? Jesus, that's huge...

Daniel Y. said:
Huh!? It's 20 MB? I regularly download 2 GB+ stuff. How can you guys consider the download to be big?
When you connect, the overhead is pretty impressive. If you connect to IRSA, the connections may not be really fast, but they are pretty reliable.

1. What is WorldWide Telescope?

WorldWide Telescope is a free and open-source software developed by Microsoft that allows users to explore and visualize astronomical data from various sources in a 3D environment.

2. How do I use WorldWide Telescope?

To use WorldWide Telescope, you can either download the desktop application or access it through a web browser. Once you have the software open, you can navigate through the night sky by clicking and dragging, zooming in and out, and using the search function to find specific objects.

3. What can I see using WorldWide Telescope?

With WorldWide Telescope, you can view a variety of astronomical objects including planets, stars, galaxies, nebulae, and more. You can also access images and data from various space missions and telescopes, such as the Hubble Space Telescope and the Chandra X-ray Observatory.

4. Can I customize my viewing experience in WorldWide Telescope?

Yes, you can customize your viewing experience in WorldWide Telescope by changing the background, adjusting the field of view, and adding overlays such as constellation lines and labels. You can also create and save your own tours to showcase specific objects or locations in the night sky.

5. Is WorldWide Telescope suitable for all levels of astronomy knowledge?

Yes, WorldWide Telescope is designed for users of all levels of astronomy knowledge. It offers a simple and intuitive interface for beginners, but also provides advanced features and data for more experienced astronomers and researchers to explore.