Applications of the Equations of Kinematics

In summary, The problem involves calculating the acceleration and time for blood that is accelerated from rest to a velocity of +27 cm/s in a displacement of +1.9 cm. The equations used are the Work Energy theorem and the equation v = vo + at (final velocity is equal to initial velocity plus acceleration times time). The answers are 192 cm/s^2 for acceleration and 0.14 s for time.
amiemgm

Homework Statement

Please help me with this problem. If you could at least give me the formula I could probably figure it out. I have worked out all of my homework but this one.

Please type out the formula in word form. I have a hard time figuring out what is squared and what all is under the division symbol, ex. (x= v^2 - vo^2 / 2a) displacement equals (final velocity squared minus initial velocity squared) divided by (2 times acceleration). Thanks I greatly appreciate it.

Question:
The left ventricle of the heart accelerates blood from rest to a velocity of +27 cm/s.

(a) If the displacement of the blood during the acceleration is +1.9 cm, determine its acceleration (in cm/s2).

(b) How much time does it take for the blood to reach its final velocity? (in seconds)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Work Energy theorem. Work done equals energy. (Force)x(Distance)= 1/2 (mass)(velocity)^2.

Take mass out of each side of the equation. You have this written already, just apply it.

Under constant acceleration, Velocity equals acceleration x time.

Thanks,

I got 192 cm/s^2 for answer to A. And 14 s for answer to B. Seems like they would have asked for time first since I used it to figure out the acceleration.

Thanks again

Actually, the time should be 0.14 s, I'm pretty sure. Here is the equation I used to calculate time: v = vo + at (final velocity is equal to initial velocity plus acceleration times time). Therefore, t = v - vo/a, which yields 0.14 s.

The equations of kinematics are essential in solving problems involving motion, such as the one presented in this question. To solve this problem, we can use the equation for displacement, which is given as:

x = xo + vot + 1/2at^2

Where:
x = displacement
xo = initial displacement (in this case, 0)
vo = initial velocity (in this case, 0)
a = acceleration
t = time

We can also use the equation for final velocity, which is given as:

v = vo + at

Where:
v = final velocity
vo = initial velocity (in this case, 0)
a = acceleration
t = time

(a) To determine the acceleration of the blood, we can use the first equation and substitute the given values:

1.9 cm = 0 + (0)(t) + 1/2(a)(t^2)

Solving for a, we get:
a = (2*1.9 cm)/(t^2) = 3.8/t^2

(b) To determine the time it takes for the blood to reach its final velocity, we can use the second equation and substitute the given values:

27 cm/s = 0 + a(t)

Substituting the value of a from part (a), we get:
27 cm/s = 3.8/t^2 * t

Solving for t, we get:
t = √(27/3.8) = 2.32 seconds

Therefore, it takes the blood 2.32 seconds to reach its final velocity of +27 cm/s.

What are the equations of kinematics used for?

The equations of kinematics are used to describe the motion of objects in terms of position, velocity, and acceleration.

What are the three equations of kinematics?

The three equations of kinematics are:

• Position equation: x = x0 + v0t + ½at2
  • Velocity equation: v = v0 + at
  • Acceleration equation: v2 = v02 + 2a(x-x0)

How are the equations of kinematics derived?

The equations of kinematics are derived from the equations of motion, which are based on Newton's laws of motion. They can also be derived using calculus and the principles of differentiation and integration.

What are some real-life applications of the equations of kinematics?

The equations of kinematics have many real-life applications, including:

• Calculating the trajectory of a projectile, such as a ball being thrown or a rocket being launched
  • Predicting the motion of objects in sports, such as a baseball being hit or a soccer ball being kicked
  • Designing roller coasters and other amusement park rides
  • Tracking the motion of vehicles, such as cars and planes
  • Understanding the movement of celestial bodies, such as planets and comets

Is there a limit to the applicability of the equations of kinematics?

While the equations of kinematics are extremely useful for describing the motion of objects in many scenarios, they do have some limitations. For example, they do not take into account factors such as air resistance, friction, and other external forces. They also assume that the acceleration of an object is constant, which may not always be the case. Therefore, these equations should be used with caution and in conjunction with other principles and models to accurately describe and predict motion.