A problem about spherical pendulum that filled with water

In summary, the sphere's period would be increasing and then decreasing as the water empties from it.
amirghaderi
We have a hollow spherical pendulum that is filled with water. The sphere has a hole under it. If it starts to oscillate and at the beginning it was full of water, how it’s period would be by passing time and empting sphere?

Physics news on Phys.org
amirghaderi said:
We have a hollow spherical pendulum that is filled with water. The sphere has a hole under it. If it starts to oscillate and at the beginning it was full of water, how it’s period would be by passing time and empting sphere?
Welcome to PF amirghaderi,

Well I suppose the first question to ask yourself is that what property changes as the water empties from the sphere?

the mass and the inertia of the sphere changes

amirghaderi said:
the mass and the inertia of the sphere changes
Indeed it does. However, the problem is greatly simplified because usually a spherical pendulum is seen as a generalisation of a simple pendulum in three-space, which means that we can ignore the moment of inertia of the sphere and just consider the pendulum as a point mass suspended by a massless string.

EDIT: So, now you need to decide how the position of the centre of mass of the sphere varies with time.

Last edited:
We only need to find the effective "l" for the pendulum which is the distance of the centre of mass from the point of attaching of the string.

Hence... the problem. This sounds like some sort of twisted related rates problem. From the sort of question you posted, I imagine you know how to calculate your moments of inertia (and maybe are familiar with the tensor forms even)... sounds like you just need to express the rate of change of mass for the volume of water within the sphere. Neglecting the mass of the sphere itself, as Hottenanny already mentioned.

i am graduated student in physics and i knonw how to calculate its moments of inertia but and how to simply ignore it as a point mass but i can't reach its answer that is first its period becomes large and then becomes smaler and without ignoreing the inertial momentom of the sphere solving becomes very complicated and did not look a meaning ful answer

amirghaderi said:
i am graduated student in physics and i knonw how to calculate its moments of inertia but and how to simply ignore it as a point mass but i can't reach its answer that is first its period becomes large and then becomes smaler and without ignoreing the inertial momentom of the sphere solving becomes very complicated and did not look a meaning ful answer
Consider where the centre of mass of the hollow sphere is located at the following points:

(a) When it is full of water
(b) When it is half full of water
(c) When it is empty

Last edited:
thanx mr Hootenanny for your hint .
i solve it .
the period first increses and then retern to the orginal value

amirghaderi said:
thanx mr Hootenanny for your hint .
i solve it .
the period first increses and then retern to the orginal value
It's a pleasure :smile:

1. How does the water inside the spherical pendulum affect its motion?

The water inside the spherical pendulum creates additional resistance and changes the center of mass, which can affect the pendulum's motion. This is due to the water's weight and movement within the pendulum.

2. Is the motion of a spherical pendulum filled with water different from one that is not filled with water?

Yes, the motion of a spherical pendulum filled with water is different from one that is not filled with water. The water adds additional forces and changes the dynamics of the pendulum, resulting in a different motion.

3. How does the shape and size of the spherical pendulum affect its behavior when filled with water?

The shape and size of the spherical pendulum can affect its behavior when filled with water. For example, a larger pendulum with more water will have a slower and more damped motion compared to a smaller one with less water. The shape of the pendulum can also impact the water's distribution and therefore its effect on the motion.

4. Can the water inside a spherical pendulum affect the period of its oscillation?

Yes, the presence of water can affect the period of oscillation of a spherical pendulum. The additional resistance and changes in center of mass can alter the pendulum's natural frequency, resulting in a longer or shorter period of oscillation.

5. How can the water inside a spherical pendulum be accounted for in mathematical models?

The water inside a spherical pendulum can be accounted for in mathematical models by considering its weight and movement as additional forces. These forces can be incorporated into the equations of motion to accurately predict the behavior of the pendulum when filled with water.