Mass Hierarchy Problem: Solving & Understanding

• Thread starter shakeel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the mass hierarchy problem is the question of why the masses of ordinary particles are much smaller than the Planck mass. Even though it is an unsolved problem, theoretical physicist Frank Wilczek has provided his thoughts on the matter in a series of articles titled "Scaling Mount Planck". He discusses the significance of the large difference in mass between the Planck mass and the proton mass, and attempts to provide an explanation without assuming supersymmetry.
shakeel
what is mass hierarchy problem.i have some idea of solving this ,i can do lot of mathematics but i want to understand fine tuning,and i want why supersymmetry is preferred to solve mass hierarchy problem

Physics news on Phys.org
The mass hierarchy problem asks one simple question: Why are the masses of ordinary particles almost negligible compared to the Planck mass? I don't know the answer

meteor said:
... Why are the masses of ordinary particles almost negligible compared to the Planck mass? ...

Frank Wilczek had a series of 3 articles in "Physics Today" around 2001
that dealt with that
(only in a speculative way
because it is an unsolved problem
but as he is a majorleague theorist with very broad clear vision
it can still be enlightening to read his opinions
you can learn something although the answer is not known)

I think you can find it by googling Wilczek and the title
"Scaling Mount Planck"

---------------------------

Shakeel, maybe you can tell me something about the mass h. problem.
You may already have made some progress.
Wilczek poses the question of why the Planck mass is a big number (13 quintillion, 13 x 1018) times the proton mass

or why the proton mass is so small in natural units---- 1/(13 quintillion) of the Planck mass.

and he tries to conjecture some explanation for this, but I think without
presuming supersymmetry

do you have some idea of how people now explain this?

Last edited:

1. What is the mass hierarchy problem?

The mass hierarchy problem is a puzzle in particle physics that refers to the significant difference between the masses of the fundamental particles in the Standard Model. This discrepancy cannot be explained by the theory itself and requires further understanding and potential solutions.

2. Why is the mass hierarchy problem important?

The mass hierarchy problem is important because it could potentially provide insights into the fundamental laws of physics and help us understand the nature of the universe. It also has implications for the search for a grand unified theory that can unify all the fundamental forces of nature.

3. What are some proposed solutions to the mass hierarchy problem?

Some proposed solutions to the mass hierarchy problem include supersymmetry, where every known particle has a heavier partner particle, and extra dimensions, where gravity is stronger in these additional dimensions and can account for the mass discrepancy. Other theories involve modifications to the Higgs mechanism or the introduction of new particles.

4. How can we experimentally test solutions to the mass hierarchy problem?

One way to experimentally test solutions to the mass hierarchy problem is through high-energy particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC). By colliding particles at high energies, scientists can search for evidence of new particles or interactions that could explain the mass hierarchy problem.

5. What are the implications of solving the mass hierarchy problem?

If the mass hierarchy problem is successfully solved, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and the nature of the universe. It could also lead to advancements in technology and potentially open up new possibilities for space travel and energy production.