Find Non-Sticky Water-Resistant Wax for Sealing Letters

• Thread starter homechemist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wax
In summary: I also found this page that explains about how to make sealing wax without leaving greasy stains.In summary, the wax needs to be hard and solid in room temperature, but also brittle, and it should not have a sticky surface. It can be used for sealing letters, but should be water-resistant.
homechemist
I need to find out this kind of wax:

-it's solid hard in room temperature (it needs a knife to be cut), but also brittle
-it's melting in above 100C (212F) when heated
-it doesn't have sticky surface
-it needs to be water-resistant

So mainly this would be for sealing wax that can be used for sealing letters.
I think beewax is too sticky and soft for this.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You should look at highly crystalline paraffin wax. The craft stores have these in the candlemaking supplies.

I wonder if paraffin wax will not leave greasy stains on the paper.

Last edited:
Borek said:
I wonder if paraffin wax will not leave greasy stains on the paper.

Good point. A highly crystalline wax would minimize that. Softer waxes of lower crystallinity would definitely leave those stains.

Other question is, if the paraffin will stick hard enough to the paper. I have just rememberd - I have tried to seal letters with candle paraffin as a kid, and paraffin was easily separating from the paper. My bet is that being highly crystalline will make affinity even lower.

Paper is porous. The molten wax will penetrate the paper somewhat. Peel strength or the energy to delaminate the paper from the hardened wax is a more complex phenomenon. Usually the addition of a low modulus material like beeswax will help with that. Compounds like rosin are often added in pressure sensitive adhesives to increase peel strength, for example. It has to do with the rheology of the deforming adhesive at the crack tip...

Thank you for answers.
I have to also mentions that I would use this also for sealing food related stuff (like bottles, jars), so it's better if wax (+additives) will be natural and non-poisonous.

It's also important that wax is solid, but brittle in room temparature, so wax seal can be broken easily without any solvents.

Resin and shellac are hard solid materials in room temperature. If I add them to beeswax, it will become harder as wax. I'm just concerned about because shellac is flammable.

Also I'm wondering if this sealing wax will leave stains to paper or bottles.

1. What is a non-sticky water-resistant wax?

A non-sticky water-resistant wax is a type of wax that is specifically designed to resist water and prevent any stickiness when used for sealing letters. This makes it ideal for use in humid or rainy climates, as well as for long-distance mailing.

2. How is non-sticky water-resistant wax different from regular wax?

Non-sticky water-resistant wax differs from regular wax in that it contains additional ingredients, such as resins or oils, that make it more water-resistant. This allows it to maintain its shape and adhesion even when exposed to moisture, unlike regular wax which may become sticky or melt.

3. How do I know if a wax is water-resistant?

To determine if a wax is water-resistant, you can look for keywords such as "water-resistant" or "non-sticky" on the product label or description. You can also check the ingredients list for any additives that may indicate water-resistance, such as resins or oils.

4. What types of letters can be sealed with non-sticky water-resistant wax?

Non-sticky water-resistant wax can be used to seal a variety of letters, including personal correspondence, wedding invitations, and business documents. It is also suitable for use on different types of paper, such as regular paper, cardstock, or parchment.

5. How do I apply non-sticky water-resistant wax for sealing letters?

To apply non-sticky water-resistant wax, you will need a wax seal stamp, a melting spoon or stick, and the wax itself. Simply melt a small amount of wax over a flame or with a heat gun, then pour it onto the desired area of the envelope or letter. Quickly press the stamp into the wax while it is still soft, and hold it in place for a few seconds before removing. The wax will harden and create a water-resistant seal.