What type of valve will create this pneumatic system

In summary: This simple solution eliminates the need for sensors and microcomputers, making it a cost-effective option. In summary, a pneumatic circuit with two pressure-sensitive valves can be used to activate a vacuum canister from an engine while meeting the pressure criteria of 60-80 kPa.
drivefast
I would like to use the vacuum from an engine to actuate a vacuum canister. However an engine can experience pressures of 10-20 kPa on engine deceleration, up to 101 kPa at WOT. I need to create a pneumatic circuit that will meet these criteria:

1. At 60 kPa and below the vacuum of the engine is
caped and the vacuum canister does not actuate.

2. At 80 kPa and above the vacuum of the engine is
caped and the vacuum canister does not actuate.

3. From 60 kPa to 80 kPa the vacuum canister is
activated by the engines vacuum signal.

I know how to accomplish this if I would use electromechanical solenoid valves but I don't want the cost of sensors and microcomputers. Is there a cheap and easy way to accomplish this?

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, you can use a pneumatic circuit to accomplish this. The circuit would involve two pressure-sensitive valves connected in series. The first valve would be set to open at a pressure of 60 kPa and close at 80 kPa, while the second valve would be set to open at 80 kPa and close at 60 kPa. This way, when the pressure is between 60 and 80 kPa, both valves will be open, allowing the vacuum signal from the engine to actuate the vacuum canister. When the pressure is above 80 kPa or below 60 kPa, both valves will be closed, blocking the vacuum signal from reaching the canister.

1. What is a pneumatic system?

A pneumatic system is a system that uses compressed air to transmit and control energy. It is a type of fluid power system that is commonly used in industries for various applications such as powering tools and machinery.

2. What are the different types of valves used in a pneumatic system?

Some common types of valves used in pneumatic systems include ball valves, butterfly valves, gate valves, and diaphragm valves. The type of valve used depends on the specific application and the desired control of the system.

3. How does a valve create a pneumatic system?

A valve controls the flow of compressed air in a pneumatic system. By opening or closing the valve, the amount of air flowing through the system can be controlled, which in turn controls the movement of components such as cylinders and motors.

4. What factors should be considered when choosing a valve for a pneumatic system?

When selecting a valve for a pneumatic system, factors such as the required flow rate, pressure rating, and compatibility with the type of compressed air being used should be considered. The type of actuation (manual or automatic) and the environment in which the valve will be used should also be taken into account.

5. Can a valve be used for both pneumatic and hydraulic systems?

No, valves designed for pneumatic systems are not suitable for use in hydraulic systems and vice versa. This is because the two systems have different operating pressures and fluid characteristics, and the valves are designed to meet the specific requirements of each system.