AC induction motor,i use a strong clamper to lock the motor shaft

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of a strong clamper to lock the shaft of an AC induction motor and the potential for the motor to become short circuited. The person speaking is trying to determine if the motor will burn out and the cause of any potential malfunction. They are also questioning the purpose and operation of the motor overload switch, and whether or not a motor can still operate after being locked if the overload switch is removed. The expert summarizer explains that a locked rotor motor without an overload can cause damage and pose a fire hazard, and compares it to a transformer with its output shorted.
jxlee
I have a AC induction motor,i use a strong clamper to lock the motor shaft.Then i switch on the power supply.?
So,i want to ask is there the motor will become short circuit?
Can i know what is the cause for this malfunction?Is that the motor stator burn out or they still got other reason causing this?

Engineering news on Phys.org

Quick question on what you are trying to do... Are you trying to test the characteristics of a motor, debug a motor, or are you trying to figure out why the motor cannot provide an adequate amount of torque at a radial velocity of zero?

As for whether or not it will look like a short circuit, and the answer is no. There's the stator and rotor impedances to take into account.

So,i want to ask is there the motor will become short circuit?
No. It will become an electric heater.

Can i know what is the cause for this malfunction?
I don't understand this question. Locking the rotor with a clamp is not a malfunction.

Is that the motor stator burn out or they still got other reason causing this?
The motor will continue to heat until the overload switches it off. When the motor cools down the overload will switch back on and the cycle will repeat.

TurtleMeister said:
The motor will continue to heat until the overload switches it off.

Do you happen to know why?

Ya.I want to test the characteristics of the motor.I want too find out if accidently the motor rotor is stuck but the motor power supply are still switch on, so will the motor burn? And what is the causes to this?
By the way,may i know what is the motor overload switch?

Phrak said:
Do you happen to know why?
It's a thermal overload which is located in close proximity to the windings and field core. It simply switches the main winding on and off with rise and fall of temperature.

This mean every motor have this thermal overload switch,and how this thermal overload switch operate?

I want to test the characteristics of the motor.I want too find out if accidently the motor rotor is stuck but the motor power supply are still switch on, so will the motor burn?
It's called a lock rotor test. If the thermal overload is functioning correctly then the motor will become very hot, but not hot enough to cause damage. However, a locked rotor is not a normal condition and the motor should not be purposely operated that way.

This mean every motor have this thermal overload switch,and how this thermal overload switch operate?
Well, all I can say is that every motor my company manufactured had an overload. We manufactured fractional hp motors between about 1/5 hp to 1 hp.

Our motors were required to have an overload for UL certification.

Last edited:

Thank,Sir...But if we despite the overload switch.We just supply the normal power to the motor and with the rotor locked.So ijust want to know will the motor burn out or it still can operate like before after we remove the locked?

jxlee said:
Thank,Sir...But if we despite the overload switch.We just supply the normal power to the motor and with the rotor locked.So ijust want to know will the motor burn out or it still can operate like before after we remove the locked?
If you operate a locked rotor motor without an overload then the enamel on the motor windings will start to burn. It smells bad. :) This would be a fire hazard. The windings would eventually short out and trip the breaker, hopefully before it starts a fire.

The amount of time you can operate a motor with locked rotor varies depending on the motor design.

Last edited:

Thanks Sir...But a motor is build up with coil same as transformer.So if we let the transformer switch on with no load connect to it,is it will burn also?

No. A motor is similar but not the same as a transformer. There is an air gap between the stator and rotor. A locked rotor motor is more comparable to a transformer with its output shorted. If not fused then the transformer would also burn.

Thanks Sir..Thanks for the info...=)

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

What is an AC induction motor?

An AC induction motor is an electromechanical device that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. It operates on the principle of electromagnetic induction, where a rotating magnetic field is produced by an alternating current, causing the rotor to turn.

How does a strong clamper lock the motor shaft?

A strong clamper is a device that clamps onto the motor shaft, preventing it from rotating. It uses a strong mechanical force to hold the rotor in place, allowing the motor to be locked in a specific position.

Why is it important to lock the motor shaft?

Locking the motor shaft is important for safety reasons, as it prevents accidental movement of the rotor while maintenance or repairs are being performed. It also allows for precise positioning of the motor for certain tasks, such as aligning the motor with other components.

Can a strong clamper damage the motor?

If used properly, a strong clamper should not damage the motor. However, if excessive force is applied or the clamper is not properly aligned with the motor shaft, it could cause damage to the motor or affect its performance.

Is a strong clamper necessary for all AC induction motors?

No, a strong clamper is not necessary for all AC induction motors. It is typically used for larger, heavier motors or in situations where precise positioning is required. Smaller motors may not require a clamper, as they can be securely held in place using other methods.