Stochastic Processes, Poisson Process | Expected value of a sum of functions.

In summary, the expected sum of waiting times for all passengers entering the train is equal to the time at which the train dispatches. This can be calculated by adding the expected waiting time for each individual passenger, which is given by the equation for Poisson Processes.
dharavsolanki

Homework Statement

Suppose that passengers arrive at a train terminal according to a poisson process with rate "$". The train dispatches at a time t. Find the expected sum of the waiting times of all those that enter the train.

Homework Equations

F[X(t+s)-X(s)=n]=((($t)^n)/n!)e^(-$t))

It is the equation of Poisson Processes.

The Attempt at a Solution

The waiting time for every person is unique, since he arrives at a different time. So, the sum of the waiting time will have a certain value. However, I am unable to understand how can the sum have an "expected value". I mean, what parameters is the sum depending on? I can only see time as a variable here. Ofcourse, the other variable is the number of people arriving, but once that is set up, shouldn't the sum be unique?

Can you help me out in setting up the problem? I am sure that If I am given a setup and equations, I can arry out the solutions myself.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, is this problem really so difficult that there's been no attempt at it yet! I need it kinda urgently. Please help!

I will try to give it a shot:Expected time for n=0 person: 0*((($t)^n)/n!)e^(-$t)) = 0
Expected time for n=1 person: 1*((($t)^1)/1!)e^(-$t)) <-- just a constant value so expectation of this just equals this
Expected time for n=k person: k*((($t)^k)/k!)e^(-$t))

E_total = E[@n=0 + @n= 1 + ...+ @n=infinity]
= E[@n=0]+...+E[@n=infinity]

And you will get
sum (as k from 0 to inf) k*((($t)^k)/k!)e^(-$t))

1. What is a stochastic process?

A stochastic process is a mathematical model used to describe the evolution of a system over time, where the outcomes of the system are determined by random variables. It is often used in fields such as statistics, economics, and physics to model real-world phenomena.

2. What is a Poisson process?

A Poisson process is a type of stochastic process that models the occurrence of events over time. It is characterized by the property that the number of events that occur in a given time interval is independent of the number of events that occur in any other non-overlapping time interval.

3. What is the expected value of a sum of functions in a stochastic process?

The expected value of a sum of functions in a stochastic process is the sum of the expected values of each individual function. In other words, it is the average value of the sum of the functions over many iterations of the process.

4. How is the expected value of a sum of functions calculated in a Poisson process?

In a Poisson process, the expected value of a sum of functions can be calculated by multiplying the expected value of each individual function by the expected number of events that occur in the given time interval. This is because the expected number of events is proportional to the expected value of the sum of functions.

5. How is a Poisson process used in real-world applications?

Poisson processes are commonly used in fields such as queuing theory, telecommunications, and reliability engineering to model the arrival of customers, phone calls, or failures in a system. They can also be used to model the occurrence of natural disasters, such as earthquakes or hurricanes, and the spread of diseases.