How can I calculate uncertainty in my data?

• Thread starter Freeze
  • Start date
In summary, The speaker did a physics lab and completed a data sheet for uncertainty. They had doubts about some of their answers and asked for help in verifying them. The speaker provided data for three different measurements and calculated the average and uncertainty for each. They then moved on to calculate the relative error for the average uncertainty, but were unsure if their method was correct. The speaker also calculated the relative uncertainty and absolute uncertainty for two other objects. They then moved on to calculate the uncertainty and relative error for a formula involving the volumes of the objects. They realized they had made a mistake in their calculations and corrected it. Finally, the speaker stopped and asked for confirmation that their calculations were correct.
Freeze
I just did a physics lab and now I have to fill up this uncertainity data sheet. I finished the sheet but I am having doubts about some of my answers. So I am just going to state how I solved the problems, if any of you can just tell me if I did them right or wrong (if wrong, what did I do wrong?) it would be much appreciated. ( I know..this stuff can be a pain to read over forum)

3 of us measured 3 aspect of one same object and we received the following data

D1 = 51.56 mm , 51.68mm and 51.60mm +- 0.01 mm (<==uncertainity)

Average D1 = 51.61mm = .5161cm
$$$
(not sure about the formula) Uncertainity of Average D1 = ((max-Average) + (average-min) )/2 = +- .06mm = +- .0006cm (it asks us to put the uncertainty as cm).

$$$
% relative error of the average uncertainty (again not sure about the formula) - (uncertainity of Average D1/ Average D1) * 100 = .12%

I am not going to go through D2 and T (the other two objects) but let me just give their average and uncertainty of their average

Average D2 = .2041cm +-.0001 cm
Relative Uncertainty = .0005

Average T = .0312 +- .0007cm
Relative Uncertainty = .0224

Now it Asks for

Average D2^2, it's uncertainty and %relative error

Since AverageD2^2 = Avg D2*Avg D2

$$$ (not sure if the method of getting the relative error for D2^2 is correct) To

So - .0005+.0005 = .001 = .1 % (relative error %)

$$$ (not sure if the method of getting the absolute uncertainty here is correct) And to get the absolute uncertainty I have to multiply relative uncertainty by the quantity, so = (Avg D2 * Avg D2) * (relative uncertainty) = (.2041 cm * .2041 cm ) * (.001) = .00004 cm^2 .

Now it asks for

D1^2 - D2 ^ 2 's relative error % and uncertainty.

To get that I have to add the absolute uncertainty of D1^2 to absolute uncertainty of D2^2. Average D1 ^ 2's absolute uncertainty was .0006 cm.

So Absolute uncertainty for D1^2 - D2 ^ 2 = .001+.001 = +-.002.

Now it asks for the volume of the object for which we have to use the following formula = pie ( (D1 ^2 - D2 ^ 2)t )/ 4 (i am sure about this formula as it was given in the sheet) and it asks us to find it's uncertainty.

This is where it got a little more confusing for me. However, I realized I will only have to find the uncertainty of the following part - (D1 ^2 - D2 ^ 2)t.

I need to know the relative uncertainty of D1 ^ 2 - D2 ^ 2 , and since I already know the absolute uncertainty for that which is .002, I will just have to divide that by the product of D1 ^2 - D2 ^ 2 which is .225, so the relative uncertainty is = .002/.225 = .008

Now i have to multiply the product of (D1^2 - D2^2) (t) with (.008+relative uncertainty of T, which is .0224) and that will give me the the volume.

Wow..ok I am just going to stop there. If all these are right, then I am probably never going to have problem with uncertainties again.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok made a silly mistake there, in all those figures given in centimeters, the decimal goes one time to the right. I accidentally divided by 100 instead of 10.

Calculating uncertainty in data is an important aspect of any scientific experiment or measurement. It allows us to understand the limitations of our data and the reliability of our results. To calculate uncertainty in your data, you need to consider the sources of error and variability in your measurements.

In your example, you have measured three aspects of one object and received three different values for each measurement. To calculate the average, you add all three values and divide by the number of measurements (in this case, 3). This gives you an average value of 51.61 mm. To calculate the uncertainty of the average, you need to consider the range of values you obtained (51.56 mm to 51.68 mm) and divide that by 2. This gives you an uncertainty of 0.06 mm.

To express the uncertainty in cm, you need to convert the value to cm by dividing it by 10. So, the uncertainty of the average in cm is 0.006 cm.

To calculate the relative error, you need to divide the uncertainty of the average by the average value and multiply by 100. In this case, the relative error is 0.12%.

For D2 and T, you have correctly calculated the average and the uncertainty of the average. To calculate the uncertainty of D2^2, you need to multiply the uncertainty of the average by 2 (since you are squaring the value). This gives you an uncertainty of 0.0002 cm^2. To calculate the relative error, you divide the uncertainty by the value and multiply by 100. In this case, the relative error is 0.1%.

To calculate the uncertainty of D1^2 - D2^2, you need to add the uncertainties of the individual values (0.0006 cm and 0.0002 cm). This gives you an uncertainty of 0.0008 cm. To calculate the relative error, you divide the uncertainty by the value and multiply by 100. In this case, the relative error is 0.36%.

For the volume calculation, you have correctly identified that you only need to consider the uncertainty of (D1^2 - D2^2)t. To calculate the relative uncertainty, you need to divide the uncertainty by the value and add the relative uncertainty of t (0.0224). This gives you a relative uncertainty of 0.03%. Multiplying this by the value of (D1

1. What is uncertainty?

Uncertainty refers to a lack of knowledge or information about a particular situation or outcome. It is often associated with a range of possible outcomes or the likelihood of a certain event occurring.

2. How do scientists deal with uncertainty in their research?

Scientists use various methods to address uncertainty in their research, such as statistical analysis, replication of experiments, and incorporating a margin of error in their results. They also strive to continually improve their understanding and reduce uncertainty through further research.

3. How does uncertainty affect the validity of scientific findings?

Uncertainty can impact the validity of scientific findings by introducing potential errors or biases in the data or analysis. It is important for scientists to acknowledge and address uncertainty in their research to ensure the accuracy and reliability of their findings.

4. Can uncertainty ever be completely eliminated in scientific research?

While scientists strive to minimize uncertainty, it is impossible to completely eliminate it in scientific research. There will always be some degree of uncertainty due to the complexity of natural phenomena and limitations in technology and knowledge.

5. How can uncertainty be communicated to the public in a clear and accurate way?

Communicating uncertainty to the public can be challenging, but it is important for scientists to be transparent and honest about the level of uncertainty in their findings. Using clear and simple language, visual aids, and providing context can help the public better understand and interpret uncertain information.