Energy requirements for fusion

In summary: So I'm assuming that proton-neutron fusion is more common than proton-proton fusion?Proton-neutron fusion is more common than proton-proton fusion.
Deepak247
How much kinetic energy is required for a proton and neutron to fuse(in any given condition)?

I've also heard that a proton-proton fusion is impossible because it needs a lot of kinetic energy, but how much(also comparable to p-n fusion)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know too much on proton-neutron fusion, but I assume that it would require very little energy, if any, as the neutron is electrically nuetral and wouldn't be pushed away from the proton.

Proton-Proton fusion is most definitely possible, but the high energy requirements mean it isn't an option for Fusion power. It does take place in stars however.

Zero.

Deepak, you're going to have to take some responsibility for your education. You refuse to learn the basics, and then expect us to do all the work. This is deeply disrespectful of the other people in this forum. Like I said before, the progression is elementary physics, quantum mechanics, nuclear physics and then and only then, will nuclear physics as applied to fusion make any sense. If you are too lazy to put in the work to understand the beginning of this progression, you won't understand the answers you get. You're wasting your time and ours.

Mr vanadium sir,

You're probably right, I am lazy, but yet determined to gain knowledge,

I may be asking questions way too far from my grasp of current studies on physics (which is still ongoing), but this is my interest and no matter how much i try i just can't let go of it,

Its my habit to try to learn in advance, If this is what's causing problems to you then

"I APOLOGIZE"

I will never ask any other question on this forum ever again...ever,

Bye.

Deepak247 said:
Mr vanadium sir,

You're probably right, I am lazy, but yet determined to gain knowledge,

I may be asking questions way too far from my grasp of current studies on physics (which is still ongoing), but this is my interest and no matter how much i try i just can't let go of it,

Its my habit to try to learn in advance, If this is what's causing problems to you then

"I APOLOGIZE"

I will never ask any other question on this forum ever again...ever,

Bye.

No need to leave forever man. Spending a little time on Wikipedia or other sites can greatly expand your basic knowledge. Then, if you don't understand something, feel free to ask.

Thanks Dr. Akkith, I'll heed on your advice

The kinetic energy required is completely dependent on the external conditions set. I would also like to point out that a proton with a neutron is very loosely defined as fusion considering that existing in isolation the two would eventually pull together into one nuclei. Also proton-proton fusion is seen in exotic particles however would only remain stable in normal conditions if the strong force were slightly, two percent, stronger.

Also in reply to Vanadium, I answer many of his questions because I am experienced in the field, but I see you on here many times but I rarely see you actually answering questions. People come here to learn, and you should respect all levels of intelligence, whether they are professional like myself or a beginner like Deepak. If one comes to learn then teach them. It is only ever a waste of your time if you choose to take the time. In fact I would say your posts are a waste of time because they serve neither to teach nor to point toward a teacher with enough knowledge to assist. If basic background is needed then explain or let someone else explain it. As a final point I would like to say quantum physics is unnecessary in your supposed line up of needed education to understand this. It is merely an advanced topic, but not needed for understanding.

I hope I could be of assistance.

Mattenerinfo said:
The kinetic energy required is completely dependent on the external conditions set. I would also like to point out that a proton with a neutron is very loosely defined as fusion considering that existing in isolation the two would eventually pull together into one nuclei. Also proton-proton fusion is seen in exotic particles however would only remain stable in normal conditions if the strong force were slightly, two percent, stronger.

Isn't proton-proton fusion seen normally in stars? I've read that two protons fuse by having one turn into a neutron and releasing a positron and a neutrino.

What is fusion?

Fusion is a process in which two or more atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus, releasing a large amount of energy in the process. This is the same process that powers the sun and other stars.

What are the energy requirements for fusion?

The energy requirements for fusion involve creating extreme temperatures and pressures to overcome the repulsive forces between positively charged nuclei. This typically requires temperatures of millions of degrees Celsius and pressures millions of times greater than Earth's atmosphere.

Why is fusion considered a potential source of energy?

Fusion is considered a potential source of energy because it has the potential to produce large amounts of clean, sustainable energy. The fuel for fusion, such as hydrogen, is abundant and produces no greenhouse gas emissions or long-term radioactive waste.

What challenges need to be overcome for fusion to be a viable energy source?

Despite its potential, there are several challenges that need to be overcome for fusion to become a viable energy source. These include finding materials that can withstand the extreme conditions of fusion reactions, developing efficient ways to contain and control the reactions, and finding ways to extract and utilize the energy produced.

How close are we to achieving fusion as a viable energy source?

While significant progress has been made in fusion research, we are still some ways away from achieving fusion as a viable energy source. There are many ongoing research projects and experiments, but it is difficult to predict when fusion energy will become a reality. Some estimates suggest it could be within the next few decades.