Unraveling the Mystery of Eddy Currents

In summary, eddy currents are circular electric currents that are induced in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. They can cause energy loss and unwanted heating in electrical equipment, as well as electromagnetic interference. Electrical engineers must consider eddy currents when designing devices and can reduce or control them by using materials with lower conductivity, laminating conductive materials, or adding magnetic shielding. Eddy currents have practical applications in metal detectors, induction heating, and non-destructive testing.
Pranav Jha
i know i haven't understood the concept of eddy current and that is why i am posting this question:
why are EDDY CURRENTS circular?

Physics news on Phys.org
please also explain this answer that statement that i found on : http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_an_eddy_current
"When time-varying magnetic field is applied to electrical machines like transformers, a time-varying emf is induced in the transformer cores(i get this). A SHORT CIRCUIT OCCURS AT THE MOLECULAR LEVEL IN THE CORE(this, i don't quiet understand)"

1. What are eddy currents?

Eddy currents are circular electric currents that are induced in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. They flow in a direction that is perpendicular to the direction of the changing magnetic field.

2. How do eddy currents affect electrical equipment?

Eddy currents can cause energy loss and unwanted heating in electrical equipment, which can reduce efficiency and potentially damage the equipment. They can also create electromagnetic interference that can disrupt electronic signals.

3. How do eddy currents impact the design of electrical devices?

Electrical engineers must take eddy currents into account when designing electrical devices to ensure that they do not interfere with the intended function of the device. This may involve using materials that are less conductive or incorporating specialized designs to minimize the effects of eddy currents.

4. What are some practical applications of eddy currents?

Eddy currents have several practical applications, including in metal detectors, induction heating, and electromagnetic braking systems. They are also used in non-destructive testing to detect flaws in metal objects.

5. How can eddy currents be reduced or controlled?

Eddy currents can be reduced or controlled by using materials with lower conductivity, laminating conductive materials, or adding magnetic shielding to prevent the changing magnetic field from reaching the conductor. Engineers may also use special designs, such as magnetic cores or eddy current brakes, to divert or dissipate the eddy currents.