Area of Portion of Ellipse

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in orbital mechanics involving finding the area of an ellipse from pericenter to pi/2. The equation used is r = p/(1+e*cos(theta)) and the attempted solution involves integrating 1/2 * r^2 * d_theta from 0 to pi/2. However, the issue arises with accounting for the eccentricity e, which must be between 0 and 1. The solution is suggested to be performed in Cartesian form using the equations for the semi-major and minor axes, and the distance from the center to the focus. A link to an example is also provided.
cfin3

Homework Statement

I have an orbital mechanics problem, in which I need to find the area of the ellipse from pericenter to pi/2 (semi-latus rectum location).

Homework Equations

So I have the orbit equation
r = p/(1+e*cos(theta)) where the origin is at the focus. So I know that A = integral( 1/2 * r^2 * d_theta) from 0-> pi/2.

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is when plugging in r I can't integrate it. I need to account for the fact that 0=<e=<1 also. I have read many many other posts and searched on this topic but haven't found a concise answer.

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I know it may sound unintuitive, by you might want to try performing the integration in a Cartesian form.

Given a semi-latus rectum p and eccentricity e, the semi major and minor axes are:

a = p/(1 - e2) and b = sqrt(ap)

The distance from the center of the ellipse to the focus is sqrt(a2 - b2).

The equation of the ellipse in Cartesian form is x2/a2 + y2/b2 = 1 .

Then follow the example shown http://math.ucsd.edu/~wgarner/math10b/area_ellipse.htm" with the appropriate domain for x.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a portion of an ellipse?

The formula for finding the area of a portion of an ellipse is A = π * a * b * θ / 360, where A is the area, a and b are the semi-major and semi-minor axes, and θ is the central angle of the portion in degrees.

2. How is the central angle of an ellipse portion measured?

The central angle of an ellipse portion is measured in degrees, starting from the major axis and going counterclockwise to the boundary of the portion.

3. Can the area of a portion of an ellipse be negative?

No, the area of a portion of an ellipse cannot be negative. It represents a physical measurement and therefore must be a positive value.

4. How does the area of a portion of an ellipse change as the central angle increases?

As the central angle increases, the area of the portion decreases. This is because a larger central angle means a smaller portion of the ellipse is being measured, resulting in a smaller area.

5. Is there a specific unit for measuring the area of a portion of an ellipse?

The area of a portion of an ellipse can be measured in any unit of area, such as square meters or square inches. However, it is important to use consistent units when comparing different portions of an ellipse.