Organic chemistry nomenclature

In summary, the indices 6 and 13 in 6,13-pentacenequinone refer to the positions of the substituents in the molecule. This nomenclature is explained in detail in the reference provided. The carbons are numbered atypically, with carbon 6 and 13 being the ones with the attached oxygens.
Pete99
What do the indices 6 and 13 stand for in 6,13-pentacenequinone?

I know that is related to the position of the substituents in the molecule, but I cannot figure out how to interpret it.

Can some one point me to a reference where the basics the nomenclature are explained?

Thanks,

Chemistry news on Phys.org
This seems to cover it pretty well.

http://www2.chemistry.msu.edu/faculty/reusch/VirtTxtJml/nomen1.htm

We didn't cover things like this in O chem, but I can make a slightly educated guess, in hopes that someone more knowledgeable will come along.
Edit: I did a bit more research and got it. The carbons are numbered atypically. Oh well, that's typical IUPAC for you, I suppose.

The picture is now correct, showing that carbon 6 and carbon 13 are the ones with the oxygens attached.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 382
Last edited:
Thanks! Now it is clear.

What is organic chemistry nomenclature?

Organic chemistry nomenclature is a system of naming and classifying organic compounds based on their chemical structure and functional groups.

Why is organic chemistry nomenclature important?

Organic chemistry nomenclature allows scientists to communicate and identify specific compounds, which is crucial for understanding their properties and reactions.

What are the basic rules for naming organic compounds?

The basic rules for naming organic compounds include identifying the longest carbon chain, determining the functional groups present, and using prefixes and suffixes to indicate the number and position of substituents.

What is the difference between systematic and common names in organic chemistry?

Systematic names follow a set of rules and give a specific and unique name to a compound, while common names are simpler and more widely used but may vary between regions or languages.

Are there exceptions to the rules of organic chemistry nomenclature?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the rules of organic chemistry nomenclature, particularly for complex compounds or those with multiple functional groups. In these cases, the name may be modified to accurately describe the structure of the compound.