Find total Power absorbed or delivered to Element B .

In summary, to find the total power absorbed or delivered by element "B", you need to first pick a node as a ground and use Kirchoff's current law to calculate the current through element "B". Then, using the voltage at the top left and center nodes, you can find the voltage difference across element "B". Multiply this voltage difference by the current through element "B" to get the power. It is important to note that the current through element "B" is controlled by a dependent current source, making the voltage difference calculation more complex. The correct answer for this problem is 120 watts.
ae4jm
Find total Power absorbed or delivered to Element "B".

I'm supposed to find how much power was absorbed or delivered by element "B". What is the thought process/solving technique for this type of problem? This was a quiz problem, it has already came and gone; if I see a problem like this again please help me in knowing how to solve this type of problem and how I might apply that knowledge to other similar problems with different questions. In other words, I'd like to understand it all completely. Please see my attachment. Thanks for any help given or offered!

Attachments

• Find Power.pdf
    76.7 KB · Views: 322
Physics news on Phys.org

Pick a node as a ground (0 V). I would recommend the bottom of the picture. Now You know the top left node is at 20 V. You also know the current through the 6.25 ohm resistor is 4A. That means the voltage at the center node is 20 - (6.25 * 4). You know the current going through element 'B'. You know the current going through element 'C' (ix) by Kirchoff's current law (4+6). You now know the voltage at the top right node. Now you know the voltage difference over 'B'. Multiply the voltage by the current, and that gives the power you're looking for.

Thanks Pligrimman,

So with Kirchoff's current law (4+6) gives me Ix=10. Then 1.5Ix=15V. The potential difference in voltage is 15V-5V=10V across B. Then, since the current across B is 6A and the voltage is 10V, I would have 60W absorbed by B?

Does this sound correct? I got a little confused on the 15V-5V, thinking it would be 15V-(-5V). I wish that there were something out there complied all into one drawing that gave all of the information that should be know and then develop them into memorization through using it over and over again; not really memorizing but knowing it through repetiveness...like studying for math and physics test.

Thanks for all of your help!

According to the professor, he says that the correct answer is 120watt; does anyone else get 120watt? Where did I go wrong in my solving?

Did you get -5V for the center node? 15-(-5) = 20V

20(6) = 120 Watts

You were right in thinking 15-(-5).

Confusing! I assumed the right-hand diamond thing is an independent current source of 1.5ix = 6A. So going into B from the left is 4 - ix = 4 - 4 = 0A. 6A in and 0A out?

But if the current source is a depedent one, that would make more sense. And I imagine that would lead to the answer you got.

No. The diamond thing is a current controlled voltage source (ccvs). That means the voltage is a function of the current through some wire, in this case ix. So the voltage difference across the ccvs is 1.5ix. It has 6 amps through it by kirchhoffs current law, and ix is 10 amps, so the voltage gain is 15 volts (at the right end of 'B'). The voltage at the center is -5 volts (which you found earlier). 15-(-5) = 20. 20(6) = 120 watts.

Thanks Pilgrimman. You are correct; this is how the professor demonstrated the solution to the problem on the board. He used KCL, showing the 6A and 4A in was 10A out. Ix was equal to 10A and then this 10A multiplied by the 1.5 gave the 15volts. Then he skipped straight to 20(6)=120watts...

1. How do you calculate the total power absorbed by Element B?

The total power absorbed by Element B can be calculated by multiplying the voltage across the element by the current passing through it. This is known as the power formula, P=VI.

2. Can you explain the difference between power absorbed and power delivered?

Power absorbed refers to the amount of energy that is taken in by an element, while power delivered is the amount of energy that is given out by an element. In other words, power absorbed is the energy that is used by the element, while power delivered is the energy that is generated by the element.

3. What units is power typically measured in?

Power is typically measured in watts (W), which is a unit of energy per unit time. It can also be measured in kilowatts (kW) for larger values, or milliwatts (mW) for smaller values.

4. How do you determine if Element B is absorbing or delivering power?

To determine if Element B is absorbing or delivering power, you can look at the direction of the current flow. If the current is flowing into the element, then it is absorbing power. If the current is flowing out of the element, then it is delivering power.

5. Is the total power absorbed always equal to the total power delivered in a circuit?

In a closed circuit, the total power absorbed will always be equal to the total power delivered. This is known as the principle of conservation of energy. However, in an open circuit where there is no current flow, there will be no power absorbed or delivered.