Anyone has good book suggestion on vacuum power tubes?

In summary, there are several resources available, including the RCA receiving tube manual and a high fidelity amplifier circuit from 1964 that uses a 7199 low noise tube. These resources can provide information on how different grid voltages can affect the operating characteristics of power pentodes. The top quality audiophile and guitar amps are still using tube technology.
yungman
I want to find a book that explain how the different grids affect the operating characteristic of the power pentodes. Most just give the optimal setup and states what is the output and most designer never vary away from this. I want to be able to play around with the different grid voltage to vary the characteristic of the output. Any suggestion will be really appreciated.

Alan

Engineering news on Phys.org
Check this out

http://www.pmillett.com/tubebooks/hb-3_tube_manual.htm

RCA receiving tube manual

usually a couple of them on ebay

i can vouch for the high fidelity 15 watt amplifier circuit in back, built one in high school
uses 7199 low noise for preamp , sounds fabulous

around 1964 edition was a good one

Thanks both of you. Actually I do have the RCA Receive Tube Manual! Man! I am old! But hey, the top quality audiophile and guitar amp are still tube amps!

Last edited:

1. What is a vacuum power tube?

A vacuum power tube is an electronic device that uses a vacuum to control the flow of electrons, allowing it to amplify electrical signals. It is commonly used in audio amplifiers, radio transmitters, and other electronic equipment.

2. What are the benefits of using vacuum power tubes?

Vacuum power tubes have several advantages over other types of electronic devices, including high power handling capabilities, low distortion, and a warm and natural sound. They also have a longer lifespan compared to solid-state devices.

3. How do vacuum power tubes work?

Vacuum power tubes work by using a heated cathode to release electrons into a vacuum, which are then attracted to a positively charged anode. A control grid is placed between the cathode and anode, which can vary the number of electrons reaching the anode and thus control the strength of the output signal.

4. Are there different types of vacuum power tubes?

Yes, there are several types of vacuum power tubes, including triodes, tetrodes, and pentodes. These variations have different structures and configurations, leading to differences in performance and applications.

5. Can you recommend a good book on vacuum power tubes?

One highly recommended book on vacuum power tubes is "The Tube Amp Book" by Aspen Pittman. It covers everything from the history of vacuum tubes to their design and usage in amplifiers. It also includes practical tips and troubleshooting techniques for tube amplifiers.