Two conducting spheres connected by conducting wire.

In summary, two uniformly charged spheres of radii r1 and r2, separated by a distance much greater than either radius, are connected by a conducting wire. The ratio of the electric fields at the surfaces of the spheres is r2/r1.
Legendon

Homework Statement

Two spherical conductors of radii r1 and r2 are separated by a distance much greater than the radius of either sphere. The spheres are connected by a conducting wire. The charges on the sphere are in equilibrium are q1 and q2 respectively, they are uniformly charged. Find the ratios of the electric fields at the surfaces of the spheres.

Homework Equations

∫E.dA=q/ε

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the distance they are separated is much greater than the radius of the two spheres, the whole system is essentially a a straight line. I want to make use of the eqn in 2 but can't seem to apply it. I know that for a straight line the gaussian surface is a cylinder but i don't know how to proceed.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you really need to apply Gauss' Law here specifically. The equation for electric field is E = kq/r^2

So essentially you're looking at the electric field at the surface of one sphere due to the charge on the other.

NewtonianAlch said:
I don't think you really need to apply Gauss' Law here specifically. The equation for electric field is E = kq/r^2

So essentially you're looking at the electric field at the surface of one sphere due to the charge on the other.

The answer is r2/r1. No matter what I'm doing i always have the variables q1 q2 and r1^2 and r2^2 inside my ratio...

1. What is the purpose of connecting two conducting spheres with a conducting wire?

The purpose of connecting two conducting spheres with a conducting wire is to create an electrical circuit. This allows for the flow of electric charge between the two spheres and can be used for various experiments and applications.

2. How does the size of the spheres affect the flow of electric charge?

The size of the spheres can affect the flow of electric charge by influencing the capacitance of the system. Larger spheres will have a larger capacitance, meaning they can store more charge and potentially allow for a stronger flow of current.

3. What happens if the two spheres have different charges?

If the two spheres have different charges, the charge will flow from the sphere with higher potential to the sphere with lower potential until they reach equilibrium. This flow of charge can be measured using an ammeter connected to the wire.

4. Can the distance between the two spheres affect the flow of electric charge?

Yes, the distance between the two spheres can affect the flow of electric charge. As the distance increases, the capacitance decreases, resulting in a weaker flow of charge. This is because the electric field between the two spheres weakens as the distance increases.

5. How does the material of the conducting spheres and wire impact the flow of electric charge?

The material of the conducting spheres and wire can impact the flow of electric charge by affecting the resistance of the circuit. Materials with lower resistance, such as copper, will allow for a stronger flow of charge compared to materials with higher resistance.