The Reality of Television Addiction

In summary, television addiction is a real phenomenon that is causing people to suffer from negative consequences such as over-use of the TV, decreased attention span, and even brain damage.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Television Addiction Is No Mere Metaphor

...The amount of time people spend watching television is astonishing. On average, individuals in the industrialized world devote three hours a day to the pursuit--fully half of their leisure time, and more than on any single activity save work and sleep. At this rate, someone who lives to 75 would spend nine years in front of the tube. To some commentators, this devotion means simply that people enjoy TV and make a conscious decision to watch it. But if that is the whole story, why do so many people experience misgivings about how much they view? In Gallup polls in 1992 and 1999, two out of five adult respondents and seven out of 10 teenagers said they spent too much time watching TV. Other surveys have consistently shown that roughly 10 percent of adults call themselves TV addicts. [continued]
http://www.sciam.com/print_version.cfm?articleID=0005339B-A694-1CC5-B4A8809EC588EEDF

Guilty! I have the thing on all the time while I'm working. My job tends to be very solitary at times and the TV helps to break the monotony.

Physics news on Phys.org
I watch much LESS television now than ever before. I used to turn on the tv and watch while surfing the second I got home from school. Now the TV in my room usually stays off till 9pm. I think my parents watch more than I do now.
I am addicted to a couple of shows though, namely Conan, The Daily Show and CNN.

I'm not sure if having the TV on and watching it are necessarily the same thing. Right now, my TV is on, but I'm not actually sure what is on it (and it's on a commercial now...oh, commercial just ended...Extra)...it just keeps an otherwise empty house from seeming so empty on a windy night when things make weird noises. :biggrin:

Besides, I have the perfect cure for the TV addiction...switch to PF. :rofl:

But then what's the cure for PF addiction?

When I get home, I switch on the TV...and I switch it off only when I sleep. Usually, however, there's less than two hours between the former and the latter. But even with the TV continuously on (usually flipping between various news shows) during this time, I rarely sit down in front of it for any significant length of time.

Smurf said:
But then what's the cure for PF addiction?

Why would you want to cure it? :tongue:

i don't spend a lot of time infront of the tube. i might turn it on if I'm really, really bored, or if there's a new episode of a show i like coming on, but on average, i probably watch about one hour a week.

Well it's just, instead of sitting in front of a TV screen all day and rotting your eyes, you're sitting in front of a computer screen all day that's emmiting radioactive rays that's rotting your brain.

Smurf said:
Well it's just, instead of sitting in front of a TV screen all day and rotting your eyes, you're sitting in front of a computer screen all day that's emmiting radioactive rays that's rotting your brain.

thumbsup.gif

Ah, good point.

Smurf said:

Wow...would that give me a radioactive brain ? Totally cool...then maybe I'll be able to picturize ten dimensions in my head...and maybe i'll be able to solve non-linear dynamical problems in my head...maybe i'll get ESP...and telelpathy...and x-ray vision...and heat vision...and the power to freeze objects...and raze mountains...and topple buildings...maybe even a death ray...or...or...wait a minute...I'm starting to sound like you. :eek:

I rarely ever turn the tv on. Unless there is a good documentary on that I want to watch, or if I remember to catch my favorite cooking show, Iron Chef, it's never on. I don't like background noise, I prefer silence.

I agree there's a difference between having the TV on and watching it. If I'm home alone, I have to have the TV going, even if I'm not in the same room. In fact, I have the TV on in the other room even if I'm listening to music in the room that I'm in. There's just something comforting about background voices slipping through once in a while.

My wife, however, is definitely addicted to Rosanne reruns. That scares me. Especially that episode where Rosanne is at the perfume counter and the saleswoman says, "You know what they say - the fastest way to a man's heart is through his nose", and Rosanne replies, "Huh, and I'd always thought the fastest way to a man's heart was through his chest." :eek:

What is television addiction?

Television addiction is a psychological condition where an individual has a compulsive need to watch television, despite negative consequences such as neglecting responsibilities, social isolation, and physical health issues.

What causes television addiction?

Television addiction is caused by a combination of psychological, social, and environmental factors. These can include a lack of fulfilling relationships, low self-esteem, and the constant availability and accessibility of television programming.

How does television addiction affect the brain?

Television addiction can lead to changes in brain chemistry and activity, similar to other types of addiction. It can also result in decreased gray matter in the brain, which can impact cognitive function and decision making.

What are the signs and symptoms of television addiction?

The signs and symptoms of television addiction can include spending excessive amounts of time watching TV, feeling irritable or anxious when unable to watch TV, neglecting personal responsibilities and relationships, and experiencing physical symptoms such as headaches or eye strain.

Can television addiction be treated?

Yes, television addiction can be treated through a combination of therapy, support groups, and lifestyle changes. Cognitive-behavioral therapy and mindfulness techniques have been shown to be effective in helping individuals overcome television addiction.