How can I calculate view factor using MCNP for radiation heat transfer?

• Thread starter seedsluis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary, MCNP calculates view factor of radiation heat transfer, but you need to input the number of source particles emitted from the source. You can use F4 tally to get the flux through the surface, but you might need to modify it because the values seem to be small.
seedsluis
hello, everybody, I try to use mcnp to calculate view factor of radiation heat
transfer, could somebody give me some advice? I want to use surface
source, but I do not know how to get the number of the particles
emitted from the source from the output file? and I use F4 tally, I do
not know how to use the values of the tally from the output file, the
values seem to be very small?
Thanks a lot. The attachment is the output file, Hope you can help me .

Attachments

• Results.txt.zip
    12.8 KB · Views: 186
Engineering news on Phys.org
It has been a while since I've used MCNP, but since no one else has responded I'll give it a shot answering your question.

I believe the tally results are normalized to a single source particle. That actually explains both your questions in one. You don't need to know the number of source particles because the answer is PER source particle. It also explains why your answer is so small.

Thanks so much for your respond. I know I should not care the magnitude about the value. I think F4 tally is not so good in my case, 'cause usually the sum of all value should be 1, but in my case it is far more than one, there should be some where I should modify in my input, F4 gives flux inside the cell, but what I really need is # of particles passing through the surface, even through I made everything is void, maybe scattering will influence the process, I tried to use boundary condition to solve the problem, but I still did not find the correct way to do so.

Since you only care about the surfaces I believe you should be using the F2 tallies which are surface flux instead of F4 tallies which are cell (volume) flux. Give that a try and see if you get better results. Also, if all your materials are void than scattering in MCNP should not be an issue.

OK, since scattering will not be an issue. Now I'm using F2 tally, since I should divide the whole surface into many segments, and I need the flux through individual segment, I try to use FSn to get it, I still try to find an way to calculate it in one time, since now I only can get one flux for one time, do you have some advice?

My MCNP experience is pretty limited so I don't remember how segmenting surfaces work. I believe the segmentation let's you divide a surface (from the surface card) into smaller sections for the tally. You'll have to read the manual and play around. Maybe someone else here with more experience can help you.

Sure, Thanks for your help. I am using the most time-assuming way to do so, I think. Maybe later I will find a better method, *.*

1. What is a view factor calculation?

A view factor calculation is a method used to determine the amount of radiation or heat transfer between two surfaces. It takes into account the geometrical relationship between the two surfaces and their orientation to each other.

2. How is the view factor calculated?

The view factor is calculated using a mathematical formula that takes into account the surface areas and distances between the two surfaces, as well as their orientation and shape. It can also be calculated using software or tables that provide pre-determined values for different surface configurations.

3. Why is view factor calculation important?

View factor calculation is important in various fields such as heat transfer, radiation, and lighting studies. It allows us to understand the relationship between two surfaces and how much energy is being transferred between them. This information is crucial in designing efficient and optimized systems.

4. What factors affect the view factor?

The view factor is affected by the distance between the two surfaces, their orientation, shape, and surface properties such as reflectivity and emissivity. The presence of any obstructions or surroundings can also affect the view factor calculation.

5. Can the view factor be greater than 1?

No, the view factor cannot be greater than 1. It represents the fraction of energy that is transferred between two surfaces, and a value greater than 1 would imply that more energy is being transferred than is actually possible.