What is a value of psi* for a particle in 1D box stationary state?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the definition of the complex conjugate of the function psi, which is equal to (2/a)^1/2 sin(n pi x/a). The complex conjugate is defined by changing all instances of i to -i. The time dependence of the function is also mentioned, but it is clarified that it is not necessary for this definition.
ohhhnooo
I know that psi is equal to (2/a)^1/2 sin(n pi x/a)? what is psi*?

Physics news on Phys.org
Complex conjugate of "psi"...In your case,it's identical to "psi"...

Daniel.

ohhhnooo said:

How is [itex]\psi^*[/itex] defined ? Or simpler still, what does the * do ?

ohhhnooo said:

Actually, including the time dependence, it's

[tex]\Psi(x,t) = \sqrt {\frac {2} {a}} \sin \left (n \pi \frac {x} {a} \right ) \exp \left (-i \frac {E_n} {\hbar} t \right ) [/tex]

so the complex conjugate is

[tex]\Psi^*(x,t) = \sqrt {\frac {2} {a}} \sin \left (n \pi \frac {x} {a} \right ) \exp \left (i \frac {E_n} {\hbar} t \right ) [/tex]

The complex conjugate means simply, change i to -i (and -i to i) everywhere.

Last edited:
In that case,he (probably) would have spelled "Psi"...He didn't intend to include the time dependence...

Daniel.

1. What is a particle in 1D box stationary state?

A particle in 1D box stationary state refers to a quantum mechanical system where a particle is confined to a one-dimensional box with infinite potential walls. This means that the particle is only able to move within the boundaries of the box and cannot escape.

2. What is psi* in the context of a particle in 1D box stationary state?

In quantum mechanics, psi* (psi star) is the complex conjugate of the wave function, denoted as psi. It describes the probability amplitude of a particle being in a certain position in space. In the case of a particle in 1D box stationary state, psi* is used to describe the probability density of the particle being in a specific location within the box.

3. How is the value of psi* determined for a particle in 1D box stationary state?

The value of psi* for a particle in 1D box stationary state is determined by solving the Schrödinger equation for the system. This equation takes into account the potential energy of the particle and the size of the box to determine the allowed energy levels and corresponding wave functions.

4. What is the significance of psi* in a particle in 1D box stationary state?

Psi* is significant because it represents the probability density of the particle being in a certain position within the box. This allows us to make predictions about the behavior of the particle and understand its quantum mechanical properties.

5. Can the value of psi* change for a particle in 1D box stationary state?

Yes, the value of psi* can change for a particle in 1D box stationary state if the particle gains or loses energy. This can happen through interactions with other particles or by being subjected to external forces. However, the allowed energy levels and corresponding wave functions are determined by the system's properties and remain constant.