Confused by Chemistry? Get Answers Here!

In summary, molecular mass refers to the average number of nucleons in a single molecule of a compound, measured in gram/mole. It is different from weight and is necessary for accurately measuring the quantity of moles needed. Chemistry can be confusing, but it can be better understood by seeking help from others.
FLgirl
Is it just so chemistry is extra confusing to students? I don't understand...

Chemistry news on Phys.org

Ugh...no...it is not the same.
Molecular mass is the average quantity of nucleons (protons + neutrons) in a single molecule of the compound. It is NOT measured in grams, but in gram/mole. This means, for example, water, H2O, has a molecular mass of 18g/mol, because the average hydrogen has 1 proton and the average oxygen has 16 nucleons (1*2+16=18).
Thus, 18 grams of water are 1 mole.
Any pair of scales measures weight, not molecular mass, so you forcefully need to know the molecular mass and the required weight to get the quantity of moles you need.

And chemistry is not confusing if you get into it. Try to have a friend explain you, I am aware some teachers are terrible.

Ugh omg you didn't explain what molar mass was? *eyeroll*

And yes my teacher doesn't speak good english so its hard to understand, and I don't have friends so my bad if this question is SOOOO beneath your intelligence level.

1. What is chemistry?

Chemistry is the scientific study of matter and its properties, structure, composition, and behavior. It deals with the composition, structure, and properties of substances, as well as the reactions and transformations they undergo.

2. Why is chemistry important?

Chemistry is important because it helps us understand the world around us. It explains the properties of different materials, the changes they undergo, and how they interact with each other. Chemistry also plays a crucial role in fields such as medicine, agriculture, and technology.

3. What are the basic concepts of chemistry?

The basic concepts of chemistry include atoms, elements, compounds, chemical reactions, and the periodic table. Atoms are the building blocks of matter, elements are made up of only one type of atom, and compounds are made up of two or more elements. Chemical reactions involve the breaking and forming of chemical bonds, and the periodic table organizes elements based on their properties and atomic structure.

4. How can I improve my understanding of chemistry?

To improve your understanding of chemistry, it is important to have a strong foundation in the basic concepts and principles. You can achieve this by studying regularly, practicing problems, and seeking help from a teacher or tutor when needed. It is also helpful to make connections between different topics and relate them to real-life situations.

5. Is chemistry difficult to learn?

Chemistry can be challenging, but it is not impossible to learn. With dedication, practice, and a positive attitude, anyone can understand and appreciate the concepts of chemistry. It is important to approach the subject with an open mind and not be afraid to ask questions or seek help when needed.