Does Moore's Law Impact the Durability and Sustainability of Electronic Devices?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential risks and principles related to Moore's Law in terms of physical durability and sustainability of function for small devices. The speaker also compares the durability of an iPhone 5 and iPhone 4, questioning whether planned obsolescence is a factor in the computing industry. They also mention that Moore's law has not been applicable for the past 15 years and express a desire for improved performance rather than random changes in technology. It is noted that Moore's law only applies to integrated circuits and not handheld phones.
CaptainOrange
Hi there, I tried to perform on a search on this forum but couldn't find a thread which answered my question.

Is there any risk or known principles applicable to Moore's Law in terms of physical durability and sustainability of function?

For small devices; would materials degrade faster, break more easily and are they more vulnerable to elements and accidental damage?

I'm just comparing my Iphone 5 and Iphone 4 in each hand. It feels like the Iphone 4 will survive a knock to the floor and being run over by a car, whereas, the iphone 5 seems way to lightweight and feels like I can literally snap the material if I had enough force...

Computer science news on Phys.org
Is it planned obsolescence in computing that you're after?

Moore's law doesn't work any more for the past 15 years. It used to be "double the size and frequency every year" then they told "it has always been: double the size every 18 months" and since the Core 2 nearly nothing has improved. A few more cores for which I have no use.

If Intel and Amd want to sell new Cpu they would better offer improved performance, not just random incompatible changes in the footprint.

Moore's law doesn't apply to handheld phones, only integrated circuits.

I understand your concern about the durability and sustainability of technology, especially in relation to Moore's Law. While Moore's Law primarily refers to the exponential increase in computing power and decrease in cost over time, it can also have implications for the physical durability of devices.

One key factor to consider is the materials used in the production of these devices. As technology advances and devices become smaller and more lightweight, manufacturers often turn to new materials that may not have the same level of durability as traditional materials. This can make devices more susceptible to damage from elements and accidents.

Additionally, as devices become more complex and compact, they may also become more fragile. The smaller components and intricate designs may be more vulnerable to wear and tear, which can impact the overall durability of the device.

However, it is important to note that advancements in technology also allow for the development of stronger and more durable materials. For example, the use of carbon fiber and other advanced materials in smartphones has greatly improved their overall durability.

Ultimately, the durability of a device will depend on a combination of factors, including the materials used, design, and manufacturing processes. As a scientist, it is important to continue to research and develop new materials and technologies that can improve the durability and sustainability of our devices, while also considering the potential environmental impacts of these advancements.

What is Moore's Law and how does it relate to durability?

Moore's Law is a principle that states the number of transistors on a computer chip will double approximately every two years. This increase in transistor density allows for more powerful and efficient technology. In terms of durability, Moore's Law can lead to longer lasting devices due to the improved performance and capabilities of the chips used in their construction.

How has Moore's Law impacted technology and durability over the years?

Moore's Law has had a significant impact on technology and durability since its inception in 1965. It has allowed for the development of smaller, faster, and more efficient devices, leading to increased durability in the long run. It has also driven innovation and competition in the tech industry, resulting in continuous improvements and advancements.

What challenges does Moore's Law present for durability?

One of the main challenges of Moore's Law for durability is the strain it puts on materials and components. With the constant increase in transistor density, devices can become more prone to overheating and wear and tear. This can lead to a decrease in durability and lifespan if not properly addressed through advancements in cooling and material technology.

Is Moore's Law still relevant in today's technological landscape?

Yes, Moore's Law is still relevant, although there is debate on whether it will continue to hold true in the future. Despite some limitations and challenges, it has remained a driving force in the development of technology and has continuously pushed the boundaries of what is possible.

How can advancements in materials and technology help support Moore's Law and improve durability?

New materials and technologies, such as graphene and quantum computing, have the potential to support Moore's Law and improve durability. These advancements can lead to even smaller and more powerful devices, as well as more efficient and durable components. Additionally, advancements in cooling technology can help address the strain on materials and improve durability in the long run.