When is the best time for self-study in school?

• Thread starter ainster31
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Self-study
In summary, the student self-studies after they have graduated and work a full-time job. They find time to do this by doing it in the morning before their full-time job begins.
ainster31
So as you probably are aware, some students in this forum are very much ahead of their classmates in learning Math/Physics because they self-study outside of class.

My question is: when do you self-study? During the summer or during the school year? If you do it in the summer, do you have problems with motivation because you are not pressured enough so you end up moving through the content very slowly? If you do it during the school year, how do you find the time to self-study? If your GPA isn't a 4.0 or you haven't applied to every scholarship or you don't have a co-op/research position ready for you for the summer, shouldn't your time be spent doing those things?

Physics news on Phys.org
i study whenever something perplexes me. this could be as simple as why the division algorithm works (4th grade math) or why low reynolds numbers cannot dismiss inertial terms from navier/stokes equations (graduate fluid mechanics).

honestly, study when you have a question. why is [itex] \frac{d}{dx}sinx=cosx[/itex]? do you know why [itex] 2 \pi r = C[/itex]? isn't there a way to simply derive all those trig identities [itex]e^{i \theta}=cos \theta + i sin\theta[/itex](thanks euler!) why does the dot product give you a parallel vector (i mean really, why is it the calculation gives this). and how on Earth is everything i just wrote intimately related?

you'll be shocked how answering these little questions helps in future courses.

joshmccraney said:
i study whenever something perplexes me. this could be as simple as why the division algorithm works (4th grade math) or why low reynolds numbers cannot dismiss inertial terms from navier/stokes equations (graduate fluid mechanics).

honestly, study when you have a question. why is [itex] \frac{d}{dx}sinx=cosx[/itex]? do you know why [itex] 2 \pi r = C[/itex]? isn't there a way to simply derive all those trig identities [itex]e^{i \theta}=cos \theta + i sin\theta[/itex](thanks euler!) why does the dot product give you a parallel vector (i mean really, why is it the calculation gives this). and how on Earth is everything i just wrote intimately related?

you'll be shocked how answering these little questions helps in future courses.

I just don't understand how people make the time to do these kind of things if they have a full course load. I would love to go into more detail the proofs of the Math that I learn but I'm already spending a good chunk of my time trying to get 100% and I still am not successful in doing so.

Last edited by a moderator:
You self-study after you have graduated and work a full-time job and want to do something a bit more interesting than what you are doing. For instance, I have an MS in Computer Science and have been a programmer for 10 years. I had a strong mathematical bent but made the mistake of switching majors and going for easy job ops. I've always kept up mathematically but not as much as I would have liked. Just recently, I landed the opportunity of doing text mining. Among my projects are near dupe detection and latent semantic indexing. Finally I'm doing something interest. I self study from 4:30 to 6 am. This is what I usually think people mean by self-study. While you are in school they simply call it studying all the time.

Enigman said:
Secret to studying:[/PLAIN]
200px-Caffeine-2D-skeletal.svg.png

That picture makes no sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Student100 said:
That picture makes no sense.

E-xactly. What's my name? Why would you think someone who calls himself Enigman would want to make sense when a simple bit of jabberwock would do?
AV2.gif

p.s. click on it.

Last edited:

1. When is the best time for self-study in school?

The best time for self-study in school varies for each individual and depends on their personal preferences and schedule. Some people may prefer studying in the morning when they are well-rested and have a fresh mind, while others may find it more effective to study at night when there are fewer distractions. It is important to find a time that works best for you and stick to a consistent study schedule.

2. Is it better to study alone or with a group?

It depends on the subject and your learning style. Some people may benefit from studying alone as they can focus better and have control over their study environment. On the other hand, studying in a group can be beneficial for discussing and clarifying concepts, as well as holding each other accountable. It is important to experiment and find out what works best for you.

3. How much time should I dedicate to self-study?

The amount of time you should dedicate to self-study also varies depending on the individual and the subject. Generally, it is recommended to study for at least 2-3 hours each day, but this may vary based on your goals and the difficulty of the material. It is important to prioritize your studies and allocate enough time for each subject to ensure a well-rounded understanding.

4. Should I take breaks during self-study?

Yes, it is important to take breaks during self-study to avoid burnout and maintain focus. It is recommended to take a 5-10 minute break for every 45-50 minutes of studying. During your break, engage in activities that relax your mind and body, such as stretching, going for a short walk, or listening to music. This will help you recharge and be more productive when you return to studying.

5. How can I make the most out of my self-study time?

There are a few things you can do to make the most out of your self-study time. First, set a specific goal or objective for each study session to stay focused and motivated. Second, create a comfortable and conducive study environment that is free from distractions. Third, use effective study strategies such as summarizing, creating flashcards, and practicing with past exams or quizzes. Finally, make sure to take breaks and stay hydrated to keep your mind and body energized.