Unlocking the Power of SVD in Data Processing: Insights and Examples

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Svd
In summary, SVD can be beneficial in data processing because it allows us to decompose a matrix into its important components (orthonormal bases for the row and column spaces) and their corresponding "importance" values (eigenvalues in descending order). This can be useful in filtering out noise or unimportant components in a dataset, as well as in solving least squares problems that may be poorly conditioned. Geometrically, SVD can also be interpreted as mapping a circle onto an ellipse, with the singular values representing the shortest and longest distances from the center of the ellipse.
member 428835
Hi PF!

Can you please tell me why it is beneficial to use SVD in data processing? My understanding is, given a lot of data, if we arrange it in a matrix, we can filter out the important pieces from the unimportant pieces.

Evidently, any matrix ##A## can be decomposed into ##U \Sigma V^T## where ##U## is an orthonormal basis for the row space of ##A## and ##V^T## is an orthogonal basis for column space of ##A##. ##\Sigma## is a diagonal matrix whose trace is the eigenvalues of ##A## in descending order. Apparently the values of ##\Sigma## report the "importance" of each component of ##A##.

I've read some articles dealing with the unit sphere and they make some sense, but I'm still not sure how to interpret what these orthogonal and diagonal vectors give me and how they filter data.

Can anyone add to this intuition and perhaps give me an example (not how to calculate SVD but how to interpret it)?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
joshmccraney said:
##\Sigma## is a diagonal matrix whose trace is the eigenvalues of ##A## in descending order.

No, the diagonal terms of ##\Sigma## are the eigenvalues of ##A^TA##. The SVD works for rectangular matrices as well as square ones, but eigenvalues and eigenvectors are not defined for a rectangular matrix. ##A^TA## is always a square matrix.

There is nothing special about the order of the diagonals in ##\Sigma##, but usually if you want to ignore the "small" terms so it makes practical sense to sort them.

The general idea for applications is that if you want to solve an over- or under-determined system of equations ##Ax=b##, one idea is to use a least squares solution which in principle means you solve the equations ##A^TAx=A^Tb##. If you form the SVD of ##A## (which is always a numerically well-conditioned operation) ##A^TA = V \Sigma^2 V^T## and its inverse is ##V \Sigma^{-2} V^T##, so the formal solution to the least squares equations are ##x = V \Sigma^{-1} U^T b ##.

If the least squares problem was poorly conditioned, some of the diagonals of ##\Sigma## will be small (compared with the largest value) or exactly zero. The small terms in ##\Sigma## become large terms in ##\Sigma^{-1}## and contribute a large amount of "noise" to the value of ##V \Sigma^{-1} U^T##, which results in wild excursions of the solution for ##x##, in an attempt to squeeze the last drop of accuracy from the solution. It often makes more sense to just ignore the contribution from the "small" singular values, by taking ##\sigma_{ii}^{-1} = 0## when ##\sigma_{ii}## is small.

Because ##\Sigma## is diagonal, you can express ##V \Sigma^{-1} U^T## as the sum of contributions ##\displaystyle \sum_{i = 1}^n v_i\sigma_{ii}^{-1}u_i##, where ##v_i## amd ##u_i## are the columns of ##V## and ##U##.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
@Aleph:
What do you mean by a poorly-conditioned problem?

Hey Aleph, so if we're given data for several velocity components, let's say ##v_x,v_y,v_z## (the x,y,z velocity components respectively), and perhaps we want to compute ##v_i v_j##, for all ##i## and ##j##, how would SVD help?

thanks so much!

joshmccraney said:
Hi PF!
I've read some articles dealing with the unit sphere and they make some sense, but I'm still not sure how to interpret what these orthogonal and diagonal vectors give me and how they filter data.

Hi josh,

You mentioned you read about unit sphere and SVD, can you explain geometrically what you understand/don't understand?

WWGD said:
@Aleph:
What do you mean by a poorly-conditioned problem?

Informally, a situation where the calculated answer is very sensitive to small changes in the data (for example changes of the same magnitude as the errors in measured data).

Common-sense logic says such changes don't have any practical significance - or if they are significant, you need more accurate data to calculate them reliably.

More formally, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condition_number

joshmccraney said:
Hey Aleph, so if we're given data for several velocity components, let's say ##v_x,v_y,v_z## (the x,y,z velocity components respectively), and perhaps we want to compute ##v_i v_j##, for all ##i## and ##j##, how would SVD help?

Sorry, I don't understand what you want to do from that description.

AlephZero said:
Sorry, I don't understand what you want to do from that description.

sorry.

suppose we take several velocity measurements in all three cartesian (x,y,z) directions and want to calculate ##\langle v_i v_j \rangle## where ##v_i## is the velocity component in the ##i^{th}## direction and ##i=1,2,3## for the 3 cartesian x,y,z axis, respectively.

my question is, how does SVD help us out? (i believe it should since ##v_i v_j## is a ##3 \times 3## matrix).

Last edited by a moderator:
chingkui said:
Hi josh,

You mentioned you read about unit sphere and SVD, can you explain geometrically what you understand/don't understand?

my understanding is, suppose matrix ##A## maps the unit circle from ##R^2## into ##R^3## as an off-axis, yet planar, ellipse. then ##V^T## takes two vectors to ##i## and ##j##. ##\Sigma## take ##i,j## into 3-space and tilts the xy axis and elongates the old ##i,j## into the shortest and longest distances from the center of the ellipse. lastly, ##U## takes the tilted ##xy## axis and makes it orthogonal to the ##z## axis in 3 space. it seems some slight revolution may occur.

joshmccraney said:
my understanding is, suppose matrix ##A## maps the unit circle from ##R^2## into ##R^3## as an off-axis, yet planar, ellipse. then ##V^T## takes two vectors to ##i## and ##j##. ##\Sigma## take ##i,j## into 3-space and tilts the xy axis and elongates the old ##i,j## into the shortest and longest distances from the center of the ellipse. lastly, ##U## takes the tilted ##xy## axis and makes it orthogonal to the ##z## axis in 3 space. it seems some slight revolution may occur.

I suppose the ##A## matrix you use is a 3x2. And yes, A maps a circle to a ellipse, but I will try to clarify the process of how a circle is mapped to the ellipse geometrically using the SVD. So, a circle in ##R^2## is the set of unit vector, each one get mapped to another vector in ##R^3##. So, if you start with a unit vector ##p##, applying ##A##, you will get ##q##=##A####p##. If you write ##A## as ##U####\Sigma####V^T##, then, you have ##q##=##U####\Sigma####V^T####p##, in particular, let ##r##=##V^T####p##, ##s##=##\Sigma####r##. You will see ##r## is a ##R^2## vector (since ##V^T## is 2x2), while ##s## is ##R^3##. It turns out that any orthogonal matrix is a rotation matrix, for example, ##V^T## being a 2x2 orthogonal matrix, maps ##p## to ##r## by rotating ##p## about the origin (0,0) within the ##R^2## plane, and any vector is mapped by ##V^T## by rotating for the same angle about the origin. So, a circle in ##R^2## is mapped to another circle in the plane by rotation. And ##r## is still a unit vector. Now, applying ##\Sigma## to any unit vector in the new circle will map it to an ##R^3## vector, with the 3rd component always zero while the length is not preserved in general. So, for the circle, ##\Sigma## actually elongates or compresses the circle into a ellipse depending on the actual magnitude of its diagonal component, but the ellipse is still sitting in an ##R^2## plane in the ##R^3## space. The final 3x3 orthogonal matrix ##U## is again a rotation matrix, though it performs a 3-D rotation about some spatial axis. So, the ellipse will become tilted after that. The idea is the same for any mxn matrix: rotation -> elongate/compress -> rotation.

As for the velocity analysis you mentioned, it is not exactly clear what you are trying to do from the brief description. But I guess you are interested in using Principal component analysis? I am not very familiar with PCA, you might want to look it up from Wiki, I think it mentions SVD there.

My view of the SVD:

Think of a typical printed data table. The table has row headings and column headings. An entry gives a number that repersents some sort of result for the row and column entry that go with it.

A remakably simple type of data table is one where the row and column entries are some numbers (not necessarily integers and not necessarily in any particular order) and the entry in the table gives their product. This type of table is so simple that it would hardly be worth storing the whole table in a computer program. You need only store the row entries and column entries and you can quickly generate the data from that information.

Many tables of data are as not simple as the above type. A frequently occurring idea in mathematics is to express a complicated thing in terms of simple components. It is natural to ask if a complicated data table can be written as a linear combination of simple data tables. If you consider a matrix to be a table of data, its SVD tells you how to do that.

1. What is SVD and why is it important in data processing?

SVD stands for Singular Value Decomposition, which is a mathematical technique used to decompose a matrix into three smaller matrices. It is important in data processing because it allows us to reduce the dimensionality of a dataset and identify patterns and relationships between variables.

2. How does SVD work?

SVD works by breaking down a matrix into three smaller matrices: U, Σ, and V. U and V are orthogonal matrices that contain the left and right singular vectors, respectively. Σ is a diagonal matrix that contains the singular values of the original matrix. These matrices can then be used to reconstruct the original matrix or to reduce its dimensionality.

3. What are some common applications of SVD in data processing?

SVD has many applications in data processing, including image and signal processing, text mining, and recommendation systems. It is also commonly used in principal component analysis (PCA) and latent semantic analysis (LSA).

4. What are the benefits of using SVD in data processing?

Some of the benefits of using SVD in data processing include its ability to reduce the dimensionality of a dataset, identify patterns and relationships between variables, and handle missing or noisy data. It can also improve the performance of machine learning algorithms by reducing the complexity of the data.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using SVD in data processing?

While SVD is a powerful tool in data processing, it does have some limitations and drawbacks. For example, it can be computationally expensive for large datasets and may not be suitable for datasets with a high degree of sparsity. Additionally, the interpretation of the results can be challenging, and it may not always provide the best performance in certain applications.