Revive Your Maple Tree: Tips for Saving a Dying Norway Maple

• Maple
  • Thread starter Physics is Phun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maple Tree
In summary, the conversation discussed the issue with a maple tree that has been struggling for the past year. The branches that are infected have buds that did not bloom and small grey insects were found under the bark. The tree is a Norway maple and other trees in the area do not seem to be affected. The individual is seeking advice and has already read about potential diseases and treatments. They are uncertain if the insects are aphids or scales and have not talked to a local nursery yet.
Physics is Phun
Help my maple tree !

The maple tree in our front yard hasn't been going to well, the past year. We cut down as many dead branches as we could. Branches that are uninfected seem to be perfectly fine ( for now) the branches that are dead/dying have buds on them but the buds didn't open like the heathy branches. they just kinda piddled out and didn't bloom. when I peeled back the bark on some of the badly damaged branches there were some little insects under the bark. very tiny < 1mm they were kinda light grey with possibly a hue of green in them. I figure these bugs must be the problem. Oh. This is a norway maple. and from what I can see, non of the other norway maples in the area are dying.
If anyone know what I can do, please chime in.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is also a maple known as Norewgian Sunset maple (at least that name appeared during googling)

hmm. thanks Evo. I've already read something similar to that. I don't think it's aphids but I'm not sure. I was under the impression that aphids were bright green. and these bugs are more grey.

Physics is Phun said:
hmm. thanks Evo. I've already read something similar to that. I don't think it's aphids but I'm not sure. I was under the impression that aphids were bright green. and these bugs are more grey.
No, they can appear grey. Any webbing? Could it be scales? It doesn't say anything about mites. Have you talked to anyone at a local nursery? They may be able to tell you what it is.

1. How do I know if my maple tree needs saving?

There are a few signs to look for to know if your maple tree is in distress. These include yellow or brown leaves, early leaf drop, stunted growth, and cracks or holes in the trunk.

2. What can I do to help save my maple tree?

First, identify the cause of the distress. It could be due to pests, diseases, or environmental factors. Then, take appropriate action such as pruning, applying insecticide or fungicide, or providing proper watering and nutrients.

3. Is it possible to save a dying maple tree?

It depends on the extent of the damage and the cause of the distress. In some cases, it may be possible to save a dying maple tree through proper care and treatment. However, if the damage is severe or the cause cannot be addressed, the tree may not be able to be saved.

4. How often should I water my maple tree to keep it healthy?

Maple trees require regular watering, especially during hot and dry periods. It is recommended to water deeply once a week, rather than shallowly every day. This allows the water to reach deep into the roots and promotes healthy growth.

5. Can I use fertilizers to help save my maple tree?

In some cases, fertilizers can help improve the health of a maple tree. However, it is important to use the right type of fertilizer and to apply it correctly. It is best to consult with a professional or do thorough research before using fertilizers on your maple tree.

Back