Solving a RL Circuit Using MATLAB ode45

In summary, you can use the same ode45 statement to solve for the second and third stages of the RL circuit, with the initial value for each stage being the last value of the current from the previous stage. This can be done by setting the appropriate tspan and i0 values.
gurhan
I have analysed a RL circuit with freewheelind diode, switch and additional source. I have used ode solver which is called ode45 in matlab. This expression is [t, i]=ode45('inducwithE', tspan, i0'). There is three stages in that circuit and every last 'i' (current-this is the state variable) value for the previous stage becomes initial value for the following stages. But when I am using if statement for three different conditions I am always referring the expression ([t, i]=ode45('inducwithE', tspan, i0')). In that point 'i' becomes always '0'. How can I assing those initial values for second and third stages? Could anyone help me about it?
Thanks

function dcrl = inducwithE(t,i)
% function for RL circuit calculations
Vs=50;
E=30;
L=0.1;
R=1;
Z=E/L;
X = (Vs/L)-Z;
Y = i*R/L;
if t<0.7;
dcrl = X - Y;VT=Vs;
else 0.7<t<0.75;
dcrl=-Z-Y;
end
if t>0.75;
dcrl=Z-Y;
end
if t>1.4
dcrl = X - Y;
end

tspan=[0 2];
i0=0;
[t, i]=ode45('inducwithE',tspan,i0')

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the same statement to solve the second and third stages. The initial value for the second stage is just the last value of the current from the first stage, and the initial value for the third stage is the last value of the current from the second stage. So you can just do:

tspan=[0.7 0.75];
i0=i(end);

tspan=[0.75 1.4];
i0=i(end);

% solving using ode45

To assign initial values for the second and third stages, you can modify the code to include the initial condition for each stage separately. For example, for the second stage, you can set the initial condition to be the final value of current from the first stage. Similarly, for the third stage, you can set the initial condition to be the final value of current from the second stage. This way, you can ensure that the initial values are correctly assigned for each stage and the calculation continues from the previous stage's final value. Here is an example of how you can modify the code:

function dcrl = inducwithE(t,i)
% function for RL circuit calculations
Vs=50;
E=30;
L=0.1;
R=1;
Z=E/L;
X = (Vs/L)-Z;
Y = i*R/L;
if t<0.7;
dcrl = X - Y;VT=Vs;
else 0.7<t<0.75;
dcrl=-Z-Y;
end
if t>0.75;
dcrl=Z-Y;
end
if t>1.4
dcrl = X - Y;
end

tspan=[0 2];
i0_1=0; % initial condition for first stage
i0_2=i(end); % final value of current from first stage as initial condition for second stage
i0_3=i(end); % final value of current from second stage as initial condition for third stage

[t, i]=ode45('inducwithE',tspan,[i0_1 i0_2 i0_3]); % solving using ode45 with multiple initial conditions

Hope this helps!

1. What is an RL circuit?

An RL circuit is an electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R) and an inductor (L) connected in series. It is a type of circuit commonly used in electronics and electrical engineering.

2. How is MATLAB used to solve an RL circuit?

MATLAB is used to solve an RL circuit by using the ode45 function, which is a numerical solver that can solve differential equations. The differential equations for an RL circuit can be defined and solved using the ode45 function in MATLAB.

3. What is the purpose of using the ode45 function in solving an RL circuit?

The ode45 function is used to solve the differential equations of an RL circuit because it can handle both stiff and non-stiff systems, making it a versatile tool for solving a wide range of problems. It also provides a more accurate and efficient solution compared to other numerical solvers.

4. What are the key steps in solving an RL circuit using MATLAB ode45 function?

The key steps in solving an RL circuit using MATLAB ode45 function are as follows:

1. Define the differential equations for the circuit using symbolic variables.
  2. Convert the symbolic equations to MATLAB functions using the matlabFunction command.
  3. Define the initial conditions and time span for the simulation.
  4. Call the ode45 function with the defined functions and initial conditions as inputs.
  5. Plot the results to analyze the behavior of the circuit over time.

5. Can MATLAB ode45 function be used to solve other types of circuits?

Yes, the ode45 function can be used to solve other types of circuits such as RC circuits, RLC circuits, and even more complex circuits that involve non-linear elements. As long as the circuit can be represented by a set of differential equations, the ode45 function can be used to solve it.