What is Magnitude in Physics?

• Thread starter nehach
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnitude
In summary, magnitude just means how big something is. Displacement is a vector quantity, which has direction and magnitude. Magnitude is always positive, or zero. To calculate it, you can use the formula posted by CompuChip.
nehach
Actually, i have just been to class 11th so i m not clear about magnitude so please help me in knowing magnitude and magnitude of displacement...

what is magnitude in physics?

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Basically, magnitude just means how big it is.
If you have a vector (in, say, three dimensions) [tex]\vec x = (x_1, x_2, x_3)[/tex] then the magnitude of that vector is given by (Pythagoras): [tex]|\vec x| = \sqrt{x_1^2 + x_2^2 + x_3^2}[/tex].

still not very clear how it is related to distance and displacement...then wt is magnitude of displacement.

Welcome to PF!

nehach said:
Actually i have just been to class 11th so i m not clear about magnitude so please help me in knowing magnitude and magnitude of displacement...

Hi nehach ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

"magnitude" is a long word which means something very simple.

As CompuChip says, it just means how big something is.

For example, if something is displaced along the x-axis by 3, then the magnitude of its displacement is also 3.

But if something is displaced along the x-axis by -3, then the magnitude of its displacement is still 3. :smile:

(magnitude is always positive, or zero.)

nehach said:
still not very clear how it is related to distance and displacement...then wt is magnitude of displacement.
Displacement is a vector quantity defined as the change in position - from an initial point i to a final point f. Its magnitude is the length of the straight line between i and f and its direction is from i to f. The actual path taken is irrelevant.
Distance is a scaler quantity defined as the path length, i.e., it does depend on the actual path taken. Distance only equals the magnitude of the displacement for straight line paths.
Hope this hepls :smile:

if a person start from i and reach to f
distance between i and f is 5 km

i ----------5KM------------f

now kindly tell me what is magnitude and what is displacement
kindly tell me the formula how to calculate both of them

because i am confisued in this

Hi nehach! :smile:

Displacement: 5 km East.

Magnitude: 5 km.

thanks tiny-tim now its clear to me

hey could u please give me ur gmail id so that instead of wasting our time
we can discuss any problem directly
if u think ok
kindly give me ur gmail id

and kindly tell me the formula of calulating both displacement and magnitude

Displacement is a vector quantity. It has direction and magnitude. The absolute quantity of vector is its magnitude.
You can use the formula posted by CompuChip to calculate it
Sorry if I said something wrong

Simpler still, magnitude is the size or length (always positive or zero) of a vector, independent of the vector direction. "Displacement" in Newtonian physics, is a vector, and has two elements, a signed length (positive, negative, or zero) and a direction.

thanks jeff i got it

1. What is the definition of magnitude?

Magnitude refers to the measure of the size, extent, or importance of something. In science, it is often used to describe the strength or intensity of a physical quantity, such as the brightness of a star or the strength of an earthquake.

2. How is magnitude different from scale?

Magnitude and scale are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings. Magnitude refers to the numerical value or measurement of a physical quantity, while scale refers to the relative size or proportion of something compared to something else.

3. What are the units for measuring magnitude?

The units for measuring magnitude vary depending on the physical quantity being measured. For example, the magnitude of an earthquake is measured on the Richter scale, with units of magnitude (M). The magnitude of a star's brightness is measured on the apparent magnitude scale, with units of magnitude (m).

4. Can magnitude be negative?

Yes, magnitude can be negative. Negative magnitudes typically indicate a smaller or weaker value compared to a positive magnitude. For example, a negative magnitude on the Richter scale would indicate a smaller earthquake, while a negative magnitude on the apparent magnitude scale would indicate a dimmer star.

5. How is magnitude used in scientific research?

Magnitude is a crucial measurement in scientific research, as it allows scientists to quantify and compare physical quantities. It is used in a variety of fields, such as astronomy, seismology, and physics, to describe the strength, intensity, or brightness of different phenomena.